Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i`ve just lost my lab of six yrs with lymphoma in the spine which has been very difficult...I also have an 8 yr old who became very ill when he had the 1st booster as a pup(spent 3000 in newmarket on tests to be told there`s nothing found and probably had had a stroke)brought him home and never gave him a booster again and he`s fine....To top this off we bought henrys brother 1st a few weeks earlier than him and had him vaccinated,he then fitted one night when he was lying with me and we took him to the vets to be told he had gone blind and was constantly whining...We did the humane thing and had him put to sleep.......
As you can see our luck with labs is not great but we don`t want any other dogs...Is there anything that i need to do to limit the chances of buying an unhealthy pup??
I live in norfolk and if anyone knows of any highly recommended breeders this would be great.....In the past i`ve looked in the paper and gone and bought a lovely puppy,this is not an option this time and would really appreciate any help on this subject...thank you..
Also to throw another question into the mix do you think its good to get a puppy with an 8yr old lab,when we bought lennon(the 6yr old we lost)henry was 2 and it seemed really easy to train lennon with henry helping out....We won`t be getting another puppy until next year but i`ve got this thing in my head that tells me it`ll keep henry young,what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF.

It does sound as if you have had some bad luck with your labs in the past. If you have a look around the site you will see lots of information on health tests etc. that you should be looking for with your next pup.

I live in Norfolk so can definitely help to point you in the direction of the right breeder. I see you have not subscribed as yet so you can contact me on [email protected].

Please, please don't go anywhere near adverts in papers unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
The Kennel Club has a list of registered breeders on there, you can check if all the relevant health tests have been done.

Hth.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
We've also had bad luck with a couple of our labs along the way - but I remind myself that we did our best by them and remember them with love. A new pup will definitely give Henry something else to think about - and you'll wonder why you waited if it's not till next year (although you maybe have other very good reasons :? )

We're now on our second Guide Dog pup (Mitch) and Megan is 7 1/2 years old. Although she has sore joints from time to time due to HD and arthritis (fingers crossed she's fine just now :D ) as long as we don't let her go too daft chasing round she is definitely more alert and up for things when the pup's around, and also very good at telling him off.

It's not just 1+1 dogs though - remember they will have very different needs to start with, and the wee one will need 1 to 1 sessions while Henry will also need walks on his own, which we found very tying till we worked it out.

You can only take all the precautions re checking hips eyes reputable breeder etc and then cross your fingers.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys will subscribe sometime this week,waiting for new pup next year as baby due in december....thanks again..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts