Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 7 month old chocolate lab who is being fed on Burns Pet Nutrition Adult food. She is particularly lean for a lab, you can easily see her back bone and ribs although she is a very greedy dog. She has recently also started eated other doggie poo and has an passion for socks and thongs! I wonder if anyone has had similar problems with Burns. I am now going to try her on Burns Canine Extra mixed with her normal food which apparently may help her weight problem. She weighs about 17kg which I think is small although she is a small lab. Otherwise she is full of beans and a total pickle. Has anyone any ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Miss Muffet
I feed Burns and although I agree that it does keep them on the lean side, mine has never been underweight, in fact he has always looked great on it. You should not be able to see her backbone and ribs - has she always been fed burns and has this always been a problem. I'm assuming she's regularly wormed and has no other medical problems.
If there are no other problems it may be that burns doesn't suit her.
regards Jenny :D

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Jenny and Miss Muffet,

Have seen ' Burns ' mentioned a lot in LB ........but have never heard of it before !

Can you advise me on it or do you have a link for it?

Despite Tilly faring well on her food, Euakannuba maitanaince, I am begining to find it difficult to control her weight and am concious of giving so little now to try and prevent her gaining weight that she is 'hoovering ' every nook and cranny ! :(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am slowly putting my 2 onto Burns having heard such raving reports about it from various sources......plus Charlie is looking a little chubby at the moment and despite giving him less chappie before he still lost no weight, I am hoping that Burns will change this......

Sarah

·
Registered
498 Posts
We've just started Brady on Burns this week, and he seems to enjoy it so far (although he will eat anything, so that's not much of an indication of how good it is! :lol: )

I have to say that the service I had from Burns was excellent though. Living so remotely I was expecting to have to pay a huge delivery charge. I ordered it online on Tuesday, had a phone call from them on Wednesday to say that there may be a delay with it because they were sending it by parcel post, and the next morning it had arrived with us. They didn't even charge us extra for the postage - so we would definitely order from them again if Brady gets on well with the food. :D

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Kev..thanks for that.....is Buster on it? Going surf'in

Sarah,.. be interested how it goes.......how they doing so far?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Rhoni
Kev's beaten me to it.
I've found it keeps them on the lean side, and I know others who've had the same experience, although like all foods, it doesn't suit all dogs.
They do have a very good helpline and delivery service, unfortunately it's not widely available in pet shops etc which is probably why it's not heard of as much as other foods.
It's the only food I've ever used where the recommended amount is about right. In the past I've had to feed as much as a third less than the recommended amount. Not sure whether it will stop the 'hoovering in every nook and cranny' :D - you may have to steel your heart against that one :wink: . Although I've never used it, I have know others who've had good success in reducing weight by feeding the high oats.
regards
Jenny :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Miss Muffet. This may be a silly question but have you thought of gradually giving your dog a bigger portion of Burns rather than mixing it?
If she is otherwise happy and healthy she may just be naturally slim and have a high metabolism. My dog has had Burns since about 6 months old and I can't fault it but I do think the quantites stated are only a guide. Each dog is an individual.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Jenny,

I have to say that's been my prob.....even though Tilly does well on her food, if I feed recommended amount she barrels ! As Eukannuba tends to allow smaller quanties than some others anyway by reducing, as I have done, and then split her allowance into two meals, she looks at me as if to say ' Is that it? ' 8O

She did check out the floor before for residue tit bits / peelings / parrot food etc but now she is enjoying woodlice with a new found relish......
:wink:

Maybe, as you say, I will have to accept this is her new daily hobby.. :(

Thanks for help...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Miss Muffett,
My one year old choc Lab isn't a big girl either. She is also a leaner build, but she did weigh 23k at 7 months so a bit more than your Lab. I've had both of mine on Burns Fish and Rice since the start of the year, the choc Lab gets the recommended amount while our yellow Lab gets slightly less but they both look good on it and their weights each month are remaining the same so I can't say that I've had any probs with the food in that respect (I initially started them both on Burns Chick & Rice and they both began to itch more?!).
Hope that you can solve the problem with Burns, I do like the products and have always found them a helpful company,
Clare

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for everybody's advice. Tia was wormed recently and I have been giving her above the recommended amount for her weight to see if it made any difference. I have been feeding her on it since she was 3 months. I have since emailed Burns to ask for their advice and they said to try 50/50 Canine Extra with Adult food and if that doesnt make any difference go on to 100% Canine Extra. They were very helpful and said to keep them in touch with her progress. They felt because of her health setback when she was 4 months and lost 2 kg over a weekend with gastroenteritis that her weight really needs a boost.
Tia is very like your dogs Chocky and Clare to look at (very dark chocolate) and I used to live in Hertford by the way Chocky! Also Clare whereabouts do you live in Essex?
Sally

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Rhoni

I have only been giving them Burns for a couple of weeks so its only been the last 4 days that they have been entirely on Burns and not mixing it with the old food. I will say though that 1st impressions are good. Charlie has always had fairly soft stools but they are much firmer on the new food, they also have far more energy - both of them were a little sluggish at times but seem to be full of the joys of springs right now! :wink:

Will keep you updated on their progress!

Sarah

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Sarah - The stools and the energy levels were two things I noticed an improvement in when I changed to Burns as well. You may find the weight loss takes place slowly over the next month and after that you can add little treats to their dinner. I do it because I enjoy giving her treats but only home cooked leftovers or half a tin of pilchards which she loves. I only mix dry(ish) food with it so that she doesn't become fussy.So far I have tried fish and lamb from Burns. Next time I will try chicken and having only one dog now (we just lost our beloved Dalmatian) I find the biggest bag lasts 6 weeks. We are having our first summer barbeque this Saturday - that will be a mission keeping Mitzie out of mischief! :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bur

All my dogs.. all six of them are on Burns, I also supply it to other pet owners. We feed high oats to our fatty lab Guinness.. nothing else worked, but on Burns he could be slimmer of the year. He looks great on it as do my other labs, newfie , GSD and BMD. Dottie our BMD has terrible trouble putting on weight as dose our rescue lab Diesel, so both of these have gone onto to canine extra. I add a bit of chappie too. Diesel is still on 5 months so I am just adding a handful to his mini bites , Dot is on only extra as she is 11 months. They both seem less hungry, more satisfied and Dottie is definatley filling out.

I wouldn't add more Burns than the daily allowance , go by the weight of the dog. If you over load them they will just get rid of what they can't use.. if you know what I mean. Deisel also eats poo... anyones not just his own ( gross I know, but he's come from a puppy farm and was fed crappy food, it's the only way he knows how to get what he needs) , this is less of a problem since he's been on Burns.

If you have any problems you can e-mail Burns direct at

burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

or ring them, their number's on their web site. They are really nice people and will go out of their way to help. They even sent us a Burns fleece for my Newfie to lay on at Crufts this year when we were representing Pets As Therapy.

Good luck

Tracey and the Gang

1 - 15 of 15 Posts