Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow needs to lose a few pounds and I am struggling to shift this on her current food (Burns Lamb & Chappie). She get's 200g of Burns split over 2 meals and 2 extra large kongs a day stuffed with Chappie. She gets some liver treats on walks, but that's it. She nows weight 31 kgs and has put on half a kg in 3 weeks!

I don't want to cut her food anymore so figured the best thing would be change her to a light version. The two options I am considering are AD Light or Burns High Oats.

Does anyone else feed a light food?
Any experiences/recommendations from anyone?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't change the food, instead I'd cut out the chappie. Try stuff the kOngs with other things like a low salt stock with veg etc in it and frozen. Two kongs plus her daily feed allowance is quite a lot.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I don't feed any light foods but I have to say I managed to get weight on skinny Sam by feeding him on just wet chappie 8O

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why don't you want to cut her food any more? That is the best way to stop her piling on any more pounds.

2 large stuffed kongs AND 2 meals a day is a lot of food. Why not cut out one Kong? Or get smaller ones? Or just reduce the dry food a bit.

Going for oats or so-called 'lite' foods isn't the best option, and will mean she is missing out on some the vital meat proteins she needs.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
As others have said I would simply cut out the wet food - one Kong a day should be plenty and even then I wouldn't stuff it to the brim.

Burns normal food has a very similar amount of calories per 100g as a "light" food so I wouldn't bother changing kibble.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd also say cut out the Chappie - it's absolutely not necessary and 2 Kongs full is a lot of extra food. Especially as Burns is a complete food and she's having treats too.

Try her with 120g of the Burns she's on twice a day and take whatever treats and so on she needs out of that amount. That is the maintenance amount for a 24kg lab and should give a good weight loss for your girl.

?

·
0 Posts
2 large stuffed kongs AND 2 meals a day is a lot of food.
I was going to say the same. Mine would think they had died and gone to heaven if they got 2 big stuffed kongs a day as well as their meals.

Most Labs in pet homes are Good Doers, they really don't need much food to keep them going. It's only if you're working the dog several times a week, or if you're an avid walker (3-4 hours brisk walking several times a week) they will need anywhere near the amounts recommended on the feeding guides. I would say most Labs probably only need about half what it says on most packets.

So if I were you, I'd perhaps give one stuffed kong in place of a meal, or just cut the kongs out altogether.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Instead of using the chappie with the Kongs, use the Burns

40g of Burns soaked in 80g of boiled water will fill one large Kong! So take say 80g of her food allowance and use it for Kongs.

You want her to be weighing what? Say 27kg.... the feeding guide for Burns is 10g per kg so she can still have the 200g of Burns and you ditch the chappie altogether.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay ... point taken, I'm feeding her too much :roll: :oops:

The "recommended" amount of Burns for her is between 320 & 350g so I thought only 200g was quite a drop. The kongs aren't stuffed to the brim and she only gets the bigger ones because she struggles to get anything out of the smaller ones.

I will keep her on the Burns and will reduce to 160g a day and cut out one of the kongs to see how things go. I should add that she is only slightly overweight and only needs to lose about 2 kgs, maybe 3kgs tops! She came to me weighing 26.5kgs and I could see every rib in her body and feel every spine bone, so 27kgs would be too light for her build.

I have already boiled up some veg and will be bulking her food out with that. She looked a bit put out by her much reduced dinner portion, but I'm sure she'll get used to it :lol:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Burns recommend that you feed to the target weight rather than current - so if you hope she'll get to 29kgs, you should be feeding 290g of food to cover her meals and treats.

If you're aiming for 30kgs, it should be 300g food for the day.

160g a day is way too little - unless she's having that amount twice a day, in which case it's probably a little too much. That would be the right amount to maintain a dog at 32kgs.

It does work, promise!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts