Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stan keeps sitting down and dragging his bum across the floor, often looking towards his bum area as he does it. Does anyone have any idea why he is doing this? Is it a health issue- something wrong in that area? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Anal Glands!!!

Work experience at the vets has taught me this, some dogs get the odd problem with them, they get too full and it leads to itchiness/discomfort hence the bum dragging. Normally the vet armed with a rubber glove and lots of tissue will put his fingers in and expel them and believe me it stinks!

A

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure how true this is but I have read that it's a sign of worms! 8O

I'm not very experienced though so sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
any klingons on the starboard bound??? That the normal thing that has my two bum shuffling!

Try a nice big raw bone see if that helps his anal glands.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Feebarn said:
any klingons on the starboard bound??? That the normal thing that has my two bum shuffling!
:D :D :D

Sorry I know it's a worry, but this comment did make me laugh.

Would worms cause the bum shuffling too?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Yes! Imagine those wrigglers....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh god, that all sounds horrendous! And I'm probably being very thick but what do you mean by klingons? It shouldn't be worms as he is up to date with his wormer or can they still happen, despite the chemical warfare unleashed on them every three months. If yes, I want my money back!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i'm betting anal glands.

poppy does this when hers are causing her jip, although she also does it when she has klingons!

but my money is on anal glands and boy do they stink when they blow! 8O

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crikey- do they blow if left untreated? I'm worried I might not get to a vet in time now... What is in them? Or do I not want to know? He eats raw bones every day- I thought they were supposed to prevent this kind of thing?

·
Registered
266 Posts
id say anal glands too-every now and then cassies would need to be emptied by the vet-if we left it to long they would get infected and we would have to have antibiotics too :(
Its easy sorted-just make an appointment with ur vet and hold ur nose whist they do it lol

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If he doesn't usually do it, then I'd seek a vetinary opinion.

Indy is a carpet/floor/concrete surfer but tends to do this once every couple of days, paired with her having a good scratch at her head and ears. I suspect she's just an "itchy dog" as her anal glands empty themselves at relatively regular intervals. I fear she frequently gets "itchy bum" and that's why she surfs!

It's a myth that it's related to worms :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
[quoteIt's a myth that it's related to worms Wink
Told you I was inexperienced :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: at Indy 'surfing'!!

Can I just ask though, how do you know if the anal glands have emptied themselves and is it something all dogs need help with? (God I hope not! 8O 8O )

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
From what I've read on here, dogs will surf several times per day when their glands are playing up, that's from never or infrequently surfing in the intervening period. I'm a bit sad and I tend to monitor Indy when she's having a poo, it gives me an idea as to whether she's well or not and I often see the clear liquid coming out at the same time. There's also a very strong smell when I pick the "affected" poo up!!

Hope that answers your question :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds delightful, thanks! :lol: :lol:

Ruebens only ever surfed once (so far) and I too am an avid 'poo watcher' :oops: :oops: so will probably know if/when it happens!!

What are we like?! :lol: :lol:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
_anita_ said:
Sounds delightful, thanks! :lol: :lol: Anita & Rueben
xXx
It truly is Anita. :wink: I bore witness to this being done once to our old girl Sammy at the Vets. We had to hose her off before she could come in the house - poor girl. The smell was horrendous. 8O

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Additional fibre in the diet helps. I put a handful of Branflakes in with Cassie's meal and it really helps. If i run out for a few days then she starts dragging again.
Failing that... it's a latex glove job!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
SO if Luna doesn't bottom 'surf' and has no discomfort I'm guessing she has no anal gland problem? I'm guessing that they are supposed to expel anal glands naturally and the latex gloves come out if they aren't?

I've never heard of this being a problem before! Can you tell!?

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Klingons - poop that has stuck!

;)

If you do go to the vet have them show you how to manually empty the glands so you can save yourself the bother next time.

It truelly is a nasty smell. Huds is a one for licking his ... um... secretions and his breath is very very obvious after it! Slightly fishy, kinda nasty... once smelt never forgotton!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
when poppy's are about to blow she also chases tail alot before the blow out happens 8O

i'd never heard of it before either until one evening pops was in the kitchen with me and surrounding her was this god awful fishy smell eminating from her 8O

quick post on here and i soon knew what was going on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts