Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay; so Sonny is 17weeks today .. so within the 4 to 6 month stage.

I've only got a pink Zoomgroom and had that since he was 8 weeks.

Do I need anything else at this stage for brush grooming etc ? and What else will I need as soon times goes on ?

Related to this when do they start to shed ?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
He will probably have his first coat shed around 10 - 12 months, the first noticeable one.... but he will be losing puppy coat all the time from the day he came home here and there, changing to a harsher adult coat. i give mine a quick flick over if they are muddy but otherwise I don't groom them at all to be honest.... Life's too short to brush my hair some days let alone theirs ;-)

When they are shedding heavily I tend to go down to a river or the beach, swim them, then scrub at them like mad, swim them again, and bring them home ;-) I find grooming a shedding dog too much seems to make them shed harder and faster ;-)

Di

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
My two blacks I don't do much grooming with. Quick brush if they look a bit fluffy and untidy - normally after a swim and helps to get the dead hair out.

I do brush my yellow dog as he has a thicker fluffier coat. I use a zoom groom and a normal plastic men's comb. Gets the undercoat out well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think someone here mentioned going over with a finer comb after a walk - helps get rid of any extra 'passengers'.

And of course does help lessen number of Labs in the Dyson.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Mine get a brush through about once a week! Though I do run the comb through a bit more often in times of heavy moulting: it saves the dyson.

?

·
0 Posts
I don't really brush mine much, unless they are moulting, then they tend to get taken for a swim and I'll brush out all the loose fur afterwards with a furminator, undercoat rake or zoom groom. What I do do though, is go over them every few days with my hands, just to feel for any lumps, bumps, scabs, things stuck in fur/pads, etc...and also to check their ribs still only have a blanket thick layer of flesh over them.

At his age, I'd be more interested in getting him to accept handling all over, including looking between his toes, in his ears/eyes and inside his mouth, rather than actually grooming him, as this will stand him in good stead for any handling which will need doing in the future.

C

·
0 Posts

I am alergic to dogs so I have to be quite proactive about keeping the fur down in the house otherwise my asthma gets really bad,I sneeze, wheeze, eyes itch etc.

Willow gets brushed once a week with a furminator (she also gets bathed once a month with a tiny bit of dog shampoo and I hoover a lot)

This is after about 5 min of brushing

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I'm just a "pet owner" from the "dark ages" when grooming was part of the "dominance theory" --- what a' load a' shite!!!!. It's all part of bonding and love with your dog :D (Sorry :oops: --- "ramble over :roll: )

I have always "zoomgroomed" when the house seemed to be getting extra hairy and never in my garden, in case the "fur cloud" blew all over my neighbours washing!!!:wink: always on my local common :D

Then, after, a polish all over with a chamois leather and at the same time feeling for lumps and bumps :D

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
I use a fine toothed comb, occasionally a furminator but only in heavy shedding or tick season.

I rarely brush my own hair never mind the dogs! :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts