Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I need some advice. In the early hours of sat morning my 16 month old red friend started vomiting, it carried on almost every hour until 12.30 pm when he visited the vet, this was the earliest he could go. The vet gave him 2 injections, 1 to stop the vomiting and 1 In case of pain and sent us home with some pils to slow down acid production. The vomiting has stopped he went yesterday on limited food and water and seemed happy enough but all he wanted to do was sleep. It's now Monday and he is still wanting to sleep and doesn't seem to have a lot of energy, he's had food and water and a good short walk, all his toilet habits were ok. It's just the lack of energy I'm worried about, doesn't even want his toys which isn't like him. Can anyone tell me if this sounds normal after a morning of vomiting?

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
It could simply be that with a weekend of being sick he's just feeling very poorly, just as we would. You say he has had food and water, which I take to mean his normal food?? If thats the case then it's likely he will brighten up during the day, but if not then I'd not hesitate to take him back to the vet.

Regards, John

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you think how you feel if you've been really sick - I know that I am physically exhausted for a few days afterwards as being sick really takes it out of me. Especially if its viral. So he may be feeling the same too.

I'd be more inclined to be worried if he wasn't eating/drinking/toileting, but as they're all ok it may be that he is still on the mend. Keep him warm and snug and if he wants to just sleep, let him. If you're having visitors over Christmas and will have an unusually busy and noisy house, make sure he's got a quiet part of the house that he can retreat to with his bed and a bowl of water handy if he's still rehydrating

You could always put a call into the vet if you're concerned - especially since they are likely to be closed over the next few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he's had his normal food this morning and a normal amount, even wanted abit of my toast, it's just a worry because normally he is full of bounce! Normally he would be at work with me and would of had his morning snooze by now but because we are finished for the holidays we are home and he doesn't sleep very well because he always wants to know what your up to. Think it's going to be a day for us all on the sofa cuddled up under a duvet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah he's had his normal food this morning and a normal amount, even wanted abit of my toast, it's just a worry because normally he is full of bounce! Normally he would be at work with me and would of had his morning snooze by now but because we are finished for the holidays we are home and he doesn't sleep very well because he always wants to know what your up to. Think it's going to be a day for us all on the sofa cuddled up under a duvet!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Sleep is healing :) If, as has been said/noted, he's eating and has been for a walk and toileted, I'd not worry too much (while keeping an eye on him of course, as you are). If he's had a little walk etc., then hopefully he is just resting to help him recover from the last few days.

Hope he's all better in time for Christmas :santa:

C

·
0 Posts
All I can add was I had a tummy bug last week and spent over 24 hours vomiting... I spent the next 3 days sleeoing as it totally wiped me out, so I know how the poor boy feels!

I hooe he is feeling better soon

·
Registered
385 Posts
I hope he us feeling better today. He looked so sorry for himself all wrapped up in his blanket.

My boy, fox red just like yours, had dihorea for more than a week a few months back, he had to have medication and special food from the vets for a while before he got back to normal. It's horrid to see them poorly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's been good today, didn't want to get up this morning but we had our breakfast and a walk, we've been out in the car and had a good sleep this afternoon, fed him tonight and he has been sick since. Hope this isn't the start of it all again!

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
That sounds like good news.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
So he has been sick again this evening? When mine are poorly (sickness and/or upset tummies) I tend to feed them smaller amounts, more often. Maybe something to try for a few days, if you're not already, to see if that helps. Gives them less to cope with at one time, while they're recovering. I also tend to add some water to their food (though mine have moist food), to try to help keep them hydrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts