Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any advice please . Bruce is coming up 10 months and has always been a big softie . He has always been very submissive rolling on his back for other dogs and people but he's never been scared . He has always wanted to approach every person and dog he sees and be their best friend but lately he seems to becoming really sensitive . While he still goes to other dogs he is a lot more wary than he used to be and he doesn't like loud noises etc . He is never shouted out or treated harshly in any way so is this just a stage he is going through or is there anything I can do to help him .

Claire x

·
Registered
51 Posts
ive always maintained to ignore the behaviour you dont like. do you get also fearful or reinforce the behaviour like sweet talk him when hes in this kind of mood?. if so maybe try ignoring it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think so my style is more come on lad don't be daft but I've never really thought about it from that angle so I will start being more aware of my own behaviour . Thanks

Claire x

·
Registered
370 Posts
This sounds a bit like Poppy (she's 16 months now). She was always very submissive and rolled on her back for every dog, but she was also super friendly and would barge in to play without weighing up the situation. Now she's much more reserved with dogs she doesn't know and will often sniff and then skirt round them (usually to go and bounce around their owners :roll: ). Poppy is also nervous around things that look or sound strange. Just last week some children walked past loudly scuffing their feet in a gravel path, so she barked at them.She never barks at children normally (I have two in my house as well as their friends coming and going). So what I usually do is a jolly hockey sticks voice and 'Come on silly, let's get going," kind of thing and we move on. Depending on what's making her nervous, sometimes we'll pause so she can investigate the offending item to find out it's really not so scary after all (usually a plastic bag, traffic cone, rock :roll: :lol: )

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today he was backing away from a man in our street who he is normally fine with so I was saying come on don't be daft and when he continued to do it I gave the man one of Bruce's treats to give to him but when I think about it my tone of voice was sort of quite sing song and placating rather than jolly and matter of fact . I don't have a clue where the behaviour has come from

Claire x

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a pup who seems very submissive. wants to play with other dogs but will give them space if they need it... i always think its better that your dog gives other dogs space rather than bouncing in head first . more polite that way

·
Registered
51 Posts
dogs are excellent at detecting how we really feel and our body language so if you use soft tones maybe its encouraging him to act this way.. truthfully just ignore it rather than encourage it. try not to molly cuddle him until he gets through this stage. tough love and all :). I love my dog but i realise hes a dog and not a human.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts