Labradors Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
There is nothing wrong with breeding for an income per-sec, it's all about how responsible the breeder is. If you look through the big UK kennels over the last 100 years almost all have been volume producers living on the income. (I wont quote names on here, but you know them Joanne. In the early days, many were either lords or military officers, with plenty of money so no need to work, but that no longer holds true. OK, the Duke of Wellington employs Brian Winman as his dog man, and the Duke of Buccleuch Dave Lisset. HM The Queen has her dog man or men, Bill Meldrum with Ian Cristy as his assistant in the old days, not sure who it is now that John Stubbs has retired. but most dont have that kind of money. Many big shows were mid week so if you want to make a dog up you had to be available. As to trials, they are literally all mid week, 2 or 3 day so accommodation has to be paid for. Many Field Trials dogs have sired over 1000 puppies, add to that litters from bitches and the income is no small figure. There was no way I could have ever made up an FT Ch, I was too busy holding down a full time job. I only played around the fringe of competition. I also only pick up on one shoot, held on Saturdays, because before I retired that was the only day I had free.
It's a huge grey area John, there are people who make a living from dog breeding who do genuinely contribute towards the breed, but there are some that also cut corners at the same time; I just don't like some of the practices I see that are swept under the carpet, or attempted to be.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts