Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone!
I'm new on here, so thought would introduce myself!
Very excited as next Friday me and my partner are going to pick up the cutest black labrador puppy! He is gorgeous, and after much deliberation and careful thinking we have finally gone for it and found a lovely puppy!

I'm quite nervous about it all actually- want to make sure I'm doing the best for him! My main worry is when I go back to work! I have 2 weeks with him before that happens, but I am gonna pop home at lunch time to feed him, play/walk him. Does that sound ok?! I'm such a worrier!

Another problem we are having is with his name! We have a shortlist-
-Indy
-Dexter
-Harley
-Nelson
-Milo

Let me know your thoughts on this, and if you've got any good ideas for names, would be most appreciated!

Many thanks! I.m sooooooo excited!!!!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Oooh, how exciting! Congratulations! Oh, and welcome to LF :wave:

I think eventually your pup will be fine with a lunchtime walk, but you might find when he's tiny that he could do with someone popping in more frequently throughout the day. Some dog walkers do a pop in service, so something like that might work? A morning visit, then you're home lunchtime, then an afternoon visit, then you're back at tea-time?

Remember to post some pics when you get him home. We can never see enough puppy pics :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes I think thats a good idea. I will only be at work from 8-4 at the latest, and I will pop home for an hour about 12.
By November, my partner will be dping shift work so we will be able to manage it better.
I think my sister may be able to pop in for a few weeks, before she returns to university to give it some food and play time and let it go to the toilet!

I'm sure it'll all be ok, just anxious as its my first dog! But very excited!

And yes I will add lots of piccies when we get him home!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi and welcome - how exciting :) I bet you can hardly wait. Hope you post plenty of photos.

I like all the names that you have chosen, but I especially like the name "Milo" as that is the name of my friends Staffie and he is a lovely little dog. I also love the name "Indy" too x

Karen & Sasha

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
How exciting for you both. We were feeling like you almost a year ago.
Make the most of those first few months because they grow up so quickly but also remember that all those things that will drive you mad at the beginning like the nipping and accidental wees only last a short time too!!

I like all the names you have suggested but personally think that Indy is a bit girly !!!!

Also I agree with Moj- I think you would need someone to pop in more frequently as 4 hrs is quite long while for young puppy to be left on his own.

Hope this helps

Chloe

·
Registered
187 Posts
All my labs have been yellows or chocs but if I had a black I always intended to call him Jasper after the black Wedgewood stoneware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the name Jasper! Very cute!
Think the favourites for me are Milo, Nelson and now Jasper too!!!!

I'm so excited, I cant stand the waiting! Want him to come home right now! We've done the shopping for him which was so fun, got all the necessities and some great toys.

I had read on the internet that kongs are good for puppies when left alone as they present a good challenge, so also purchased one of those!

Not long to go now, 10 days and counting!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are gonna call him Milo, we have decided!
I cant wait- it feels like forever waiting for him to come home.

I really am very nervous too, as I'm a 1st time puppy owner! :roll:
But really cant wait 2 get going with it all!!!

Thanks for the advice etc. Have asked my sister to pop in when im at work, at least for a few weeks anyway when im back at work, so hopefully that would be ok for him! And i'll be back at lunchtime and then 4pm. So im feeling less anxious about that now too! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, newowner, I am also the proud owner of my first ever labrador puppy. We bought her last Saturday and like you, I have felt anxious and worried ever since! Well, it has got a bit better over the last couple of days... but I am still stressed about going to work and leaving her. I have been at work the last couple of days and have flexi-time so I am able to do slightly shorter hours for a while. I am leaving her up to 3 hours and she seems fine in her puppy pen. My previous post (Now I'm worried!) may be of help because I found the replies to that very reassuring. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YJB,
Thanks for that- do feel bit more reassured now!!! Just cant wait 2 get him home now and get started! The thing I worry about is the leaving at home, but it reassures me that u do it for 3 hours without any probs- lets just hope i can be as successful!
Will have a look at 'Now I'm Worried' -thanks again!
x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts