Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

We are bringing home a new lab puppy in a week or so, and just wanted to make sure we are prepped for the journey home.

It is only a 30ish minute drive, but it's down some bumpy and twisty county roads.

What do you recommend for this kind of journey when pup is so young and will be scared. We want to keep her safe, but don't want to make her any more scared than she needs to be.

We currently have an RAC large fabric carrier - RAC Fabric Dog Carrier Large | Pets At Home which we have used for older dogs in the past. We are thinking of one of us sitting in the back, with this on the seat with them. Would this be a good option?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
A solid box or cat carrier, lined with bedding or newspaper, securely attached. 30 minutes is nothing, pup will hardly notice. My last three puppies have entailed journeys of between 8 and 11 hours. My last was in a cat carrier on the front seat. She was fine.

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
You will find a half hour journey will be no problem. I have a 24 inch crate which I use for the first (very) few weeks, and to bring a puppy home I stand it on the rear seat in my car, securing it in place with the seat belt. I cover it with an old bath towel to make it dark inside. (It's seeing the scenery rushing by which unsettles a pup.) Put plenty of old towels on the floor of the crate to absorb any accidents, so they dont damage your car seats. My last two pups travelled home like that and both had around 3 hour journeys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts