Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya i was wondering if someone could help. i have recently bought a 8 week old fox red bitch and was contemplating breeding her when she is older. I was wondering whether anyone knew how much roughly the hip and eye scoring costs.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi
i don't really know much but think there is a whole lot more to breeding then just the cost of hips and eyes, i would't be surprised with all the tests to be done if you weren't in the region of 1000K, thats by reading stuff on here (LF)

the breeder who you bought from should help you, what do they say?

There are bits and bobs on here about breeding but i'm totally out of my depth finding my way around!
Dany

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think it depends where you are rather. Dylan's hip and elbow plates were £330 plus the BVA fee of £80. Eye test was £57 - though this was high because a qualified vet had to travel over here and hold a clinic.

If you are considering breeding I would strongly urge you to discuss this with your puppy's breeder for a number of reasons, not least of which would be to check that your puppy doesn't have breeding endorsements on her registration.

HTH :D.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum!

There are lots of helpful "sticky" posts at the top of the breeding section which will give you some really good pointers. Also as you have only just picked your pup up, I would definately have a chat with the breeder who will be an invaluable sort of help and information to you if you do decide to breed in a few years time.

Eye testing is the cheapest tests so start with that - around £ 35 ish. Then there are all the DNA tests available for Optigen and CNM - see the posts that Di has done regarding current clincs that she is running and the costs there. Hips and elbows need to wait until your girl is a year old, and they do vary a lot between vets, so you would need to check in your area really. If you want to start saving for breeding in the future there are so many other things to consider too, not just the health tests. Although it is good to plan these things, to be honest, I wouldn't start fretting too much at the moment, chat to your breeder of course, but just enjoy your pup while she is a pup!

Have fun!

Katy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts