Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i tell when my bitch is pregnant. she was bred 4 weeks ago. i am new to this.she has been hip scored and eye tested and bred with another lab who also has low scores. we are hoping for a litter and have brought books and have researched on the event to prepare for any eventuality. help please. foxtrot.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hi Foxtrot,

If your bitch is only 4 weeks from being mated, there will possibly be a few signs. Is she more clingy? Have her back nipples enlarged or darkened at all? The other sign is if the vulva hasn't gone back to its pre-season size.

If you wish to scan her the best time to do so is about 35 days, but these days I personally prefer to 'wait and see'. It is usually obvious by about 7 weeks.

Fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Foxtrot

Some bitches hide their pregnancy, others change more quickly mines tend to be more clingy.
I have been lucky with my vet who if i take my bitch to see her on the 28th day after mating she can usually tell me with knowing exactly where to feel she can tell me,i have tried but as yet i can't feel anything. Only time will tell or as previously said you could have her scanned.

Good luck

Margaret

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dear xena and thrupence - i realy appreciate your replies and good luck messages am tempted to have a scan. as i would like to know firstly how many there will be and if she is realy pregnant. mind you the stud had two attempts one day and one two days later. foxtrot.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Foxtrot

The scan is not always able to tell the exact numbers, i was told my bitch only had 5pups and she produced 11 so although they are good to confirm pregnancy IMO not very good at how many.

Good luck and let us know how everything is going.

margaret

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
With scaning it is the expertise of the scanner. I found someone who only does scanning as a living i.e sheep etc are by far the most accurate when they scan, because they are doing it alll the time and their equipment is usually better Good luck I think it is nice to have some idea on how many pups are there, or whether they have missed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have you consulted your breeder? Having a mentor will help you.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi foxtrot
Any news on whether your bitch is whelp :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello megaloo my bitch is in whelp she is spreading rapidly! She is still chasing squirrels and rabbits and deer and doesnt seem to know when to be more sedate. she has 17 more days to go. i feel very nervous for her but have got a very good book on whelping which i have been studying and she is the peak of fitness. so here's hoping everything goes off allright.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
hi Foxtrot
So glad to hear your bitch is in whelp. Apart from spreading she may not slow down until the last week, depending on how many puppies she is carrying. Did you get her scanned after all? What stud dog did you use? Please let us know how she is and when they are born. You must start to prepare the whelping box etc, Good Luck Regards Meg

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
just want to say good luck for when the time comes :p and remember to have your vets number to hand incase of complications...

my bitch went into labour in the early hours of the morning about 3am i think and she was still trying by 9am so we took her the vet they gave her a injection to make the contractions stronger and told us to come back in 1 hr if still no puppies were in sight.. wich of course there was not we phoned up 1hr later.. this time brandy was really tierd and seemed stressed out..so then we had to take her to the main vets were she had a proper examination and we found she had a low womb?? something todo with the birth canal being to far down and the pups could not pass so she was took straight in for a ceaseran

we got the phone call to say all was well and she had 9 puppies 8 plack and 1 yellow..lol.. this was 3yrs ago they will be 4 on 29th december

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dear megaloo sent hubby down to builders merchants today for some plywood.have loads of papers and sweaters ready. she has been bred with bearstone midnight moon regular name is badger who like my bitch has chocolate genes and is black. i will keep you posted on developments.are you a breeder as i realy appreciate your concern.hello clariscrazy i am aware of what could go wrong as my book is very good and gives good solid advice on whelping (even brought a set of scales) before and after. thank you both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts