Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
No, 5 is to me top limit for a first litter from a bitch, but dogs can go a lot older. But it is the bitch owners who have the choice of dogs, so without something to make him stand out from the many thousands of other dogs, such as show or working awards he is unlikely to have many if any bitches come to him. Also if you are going to go about this responsibly there are certain health tests which he is going to need. Hip, elbow and BVA eye test, plus DNA tests for PRA, EIC and CNM are the absolute minimum. This will set you back somewhere in the region of £700 to £800, Then consider that the stud fee for an unproven dog would certainly not be more than £200, always assuming that anyone will use him. My advice is to forget the idea.

Sorry, John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Certainly not too old for a male. By then you will know if he is worth breeding from (exceptional talent, temperment etc). Personally at his age though, I would wait until you are getting a few enquiries for his services before starting the process of health testing as, as JohnW says, health testing can be very expensive. I would also say to not get your hopes up too high as his hip scores may not be ideal at his age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts