Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this the other day and I was rather concerned. A dog (not a labrador) that has recently been diagnosed as epileptic (he is about 2) whose owner hopes to use him as a stud dog. He is now on medication and responding well.

My old boy, Simpson, fitted and even if we had intended using him as a stud dog once the fits started I would never have dreamt of doing it. Seeing him fit for the greater part of his life was so heartbreaking without risking his offspring going the same way.

Am I wrong in my concerns?

Susan and Poppy

?

·
0 Posts
Unless the owners can say for certain that their dog's epilepsy isn't in anyway genetically linked, then I'd say they were selfish idiots. But there you go; there are an awful lot of selfish idiots out there, breeding dogs.

Buyer beware!

·
Administrator
20,489 Posts
This is very wrong. We dont know how it's carried at the moment, although it's almost certainly carried as a recessive, meaning that at best EVERY puppy will be a carrier.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your opinions.

To be honest I was wondering if I was being stupid being so against the idea and thought that perhaps I was being over sensitive because of Simpson. Alternatively I wondered if I had missed some new breakthrough about fitting.

The woman concerned was gutted when her dog started fitting and I really don't know how she could possibly put future pups and owners through the same anguish. Perhaps it is the £££££££££ signs.

Susan and Poppy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts