Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I’m new here and new to this but wanting to get it right when the time is right. I’m going to let my Labrador bitch have a litter of puppies when the time is right, she’s kc registered and has the most beautiful loving nature I’ve ever known in a dog despite having them my whole 32 years of life. Any tips on breeding welcome from when is the right time to when I should start looking for a stud, also on choosing the best stud for my girl and if anyone knows about genetics and What colour pups she could possibly get from breeding with different colour labs she’s fox red however I’m aware this is classed as yellow. Thank you in advance for any and all advice offered x

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
You need to start by checking there's no breeding restriction on her registration, if there is you will need to speak to her breeder about what they require to lift it. Health tests are a must. Eye test, hip and elbow scoring then depending on what DNA tests her parents have had you may need to test for prcd-pra, EIC, CNM, SD2 and HNPK. There are companies that do a package which includes tests for the conditions I've mentioned as well as some others. Once you have all the health test results in place then you can look at stud dogs, you should be looking for a pedigree that complements hers, her breeder should be able to give you some advice there. So far as colours are concerned, have a look at this site which gives you the different combinations http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
As well as everything Tarimoor has said, think about what your bitch could bring to the breed, has she been shown, worked, trialled or competed in agility or obedience competitions? A beautiful and loving nature wouldn't be enough for me to want to breed any of my bitches. Way too many risks involved and rarely any profit to be made if you do it properly.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
As well as everything Tarimoor has said, think about what your bitch could bring to the breed, has she been shown, worked, trialled or competed in agility or obedience competitions? A beautiful and loving nature wouldn't be enough for me to want to breed any of my bitches. Way too many risks involved and rarely any profit to be made if you do it properly.
I haven't said anything ;)

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Reactions: Casodil
1 - 7 of 7 Posts