Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i bought scooby when he was 7 weeks old i was really after a german shepherd but could not find one and scooby was advertised in the paper as pedigree no papers both parents could be seen so we went to have a look at them (my grandparents had labs and i used to love them) when we got there the house was quite smart on the outside wasnt til we got in he had them all in the kitchen apart from some in a cupboard which was waiting to go to there new homes he had a few out that was for sale we saw his mum which was outside and was quite timid and saw one of the parents siblings from an earlier pregancy and fell in love with his dad he was a big dog the kitchen was what i would call unhygenic for humans to cook in never mind sit in scooby came straight upto me and would not leave me alone so decided to take him the breeder said that the kennel club he was with had gone bust so the pups had not been registered hence no papers he wanted to me to leave scooby there so ihe could take him for his first injection which i said no i would sort it out straight away i brought him home on the sat he had his first one on the thursday so this doesnt happen to me again i am thinking of getting another one sometime in the future so he has a playmate but i want to get it right this time is there any good breeders in the south yorkshire area and if so what should i look for or the do`s and don`ts i dont regret picking scooby i love and spoil him just could not leave him there with the state of the house dont think he had ever been wormed had the run of the house they were just peeing anywhere the pups wanted any info would be a great help

chelle and scooby xx

·
Administrator
20,783 Posts
Obviously something suspicious about that "Breeder" because there is, as far as the UK is concerned, only one Kennel Club and that has most definately NOT gone bust!

If you are thinking about getting another puppy then the first port of call would be the Labrador breed club. They should have a list of breeders. Another aproach is to talk to stud dog owners whos dog you like the look of. They will be able to tell you who's bitch has recently been serviced by the dog.

Regards, John

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Your local Labrador breed club should be able to tell you if any breeders have pups available.

Please don't buy another scooby, if you do then as people like you are buying them then the breeder will just keep producing them. There are so may labs in dog homes waiting for new homes, without these people after a quick buck.

I'm sure the other members will more experience in what to look for will be able to help you more... :wink:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Sorry to hear about how you got Scooby. His breeder sounds very dodgy and I thought there was only one Kennel Club in the UK that dogs are registered with and that certainly hasn't gone bust!

Hopefully someone can recommend a breeder for you.

I'll try and give you some pointers for when you choose your pup and I'm sure others can also pitch in. In no particular order:

- The breeder should ask you lots of questions as they'll want to make sure their 'babies' are going to a good home (do you work full time?, is your garden dog-proof? are just a couple), and you should ask questions of them.

- Will the breeder take the pup back if for any reason you can no longer keep it? and also give a lift-time of support, if required?

- Ask about breeding endorsement on the KC certificate to stop irresponsible breeding.

- Make sure you see the mum; her temprament can be a good indication of the pups'. The dad may not be around if he was a stud dog.

- Make sure you are shown hip and eye certificates - a good breeder will have these ready to show you.

- Look at the conditions that the pups have been raised in - it should be clean for a start.

- When looking at pups make sure they have clean eyes and look generally clean and healthy.

Remember, as hard as it might be, walk away if alarm bells ring!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi yes im same as cris please dont buy another scooby

i have bought all my labs from newspapers but so far have not come across a dirty house all have been with papers and all have been well bred both parents seen even sisters aswell..each time the breeder has answered all my questions and were very helpfull when i phoned (apart from rosze)

yes i know i have been very lucky in my dogs and i know a lot of ppl say no to buying from adverts..but if i came across a house like the one you have then sorry i would of walked away ..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Chelle
There was a find a breeder guide, but I think it went down with the old site.
As others have said there is only one Kennel Club, he must have been referring to one of the other commercial registers (DLRC is one) that are frequently used by puppy farmers and the like.

The best way to find a pup is going through the breed club as others have said. You may have a wait, but it will be worth it.
The Labrador Retriever Club will be able to give you details.
regards
Jenny

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Whiterose, I cannot add to what the others have said, your breed club is the best source of good breeders for a Lab pup. However, I personally know 3 good and reputable show breeders in the Yorkshire Area, and would be happy to recommend them, but be prepared to be grilled to within an inch of your life. :D They will also expect you to grill them as well. If you want their details, please let me know.

Happy to help if I can
Kay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice and i wont be doing that again. :oops:
Thank you kay i would apreciate it if you could send me there details please i can write them them down so when i am ready for another one i will no where to go thank you all four your advice will learn from this :D

thank you
chelle and scooby x

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Chelle, have pm'd their details to you. These breeders only breed when looking to take another pup for the showring, and usually have a waiting list.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Chelle,

As Jenny mentioned before, we did have a 'Your Guide To Finding A Responsible Breeder' before the site crash, i have just found a copy of the guide, which we will add again to the site asap. I'll start on it now. :wink:

Hope this helps,

Julie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts