Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I think I know the answer but I guess I’d just like to know my instinct is right! We’ve been on the waiting list for a puppy which were born 2 weeks ago. We haven’t met the breeder in person and weren’t expecting to see pups til 4/5 weeks at which point I would’ve expected to pay a deposit then if we had chosen (or been chosen by) a puppy.
I feel incredibly uneasy about being asked for the deposit and then had a follow up text asking if we were going to pay as he has a large waiting list...
I don’t necessarily think this is a scam but my gut instinct is that this also isn’t the “proper” way to do things either??

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
I would not want to pay a deposit before the pups are born, but once born I am reasonably happy. The thing about a deposit with a responsible breeder is that you go onto the "First come first served" list rather than the "Reserves" list. You are also making it clear that you seriously want a pup and not just a time waster. Certainly with Amy I posted a deposit the very day the pups were born, but I was also given first pick of the bitches. With Chloe, her breeder was a personal friend, so she knew I was no time waster, and in any case, I'd more or less picked my pup from the videos before she was a week old, then she picked me at 5 weeks old!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John, I think this is possibly “first time nerves” on our part too. I think if I’d had chance to meet the breeder beforehand and establish a bit of a rapport/relationship may be we’d be happier. I can see from the point of view of not being a time waster though. Continuously learning but equally I know that we have to feel 100% happy too.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
My two penneth worth, I don't take deposits, as, once money has exchanged hands, it is more difficult to then back out of the agreement. So for that reason I don't like money to exchange hands until people are coming to collect their pups, and then it's either cash or bank transfer, which is easy enough for most people to arrange, and by then, I've met them at least once and had long discussions about my contract of sale etc. So my question would be, are you 100% happy with the breeder, with the health tests in place on the parents, etc, etc, because once money changes hands, you may not get your deposit back if, for any reason, you feel you don't want to go ahead with the puppy from this litter. It has happened recently to someone who contacted me, a little uncertain about aspects of the parents of a litter they were on the waiting list for, and when I responded and said some of the health test results are really poor, they decided to try and ask for their deposit back only to be told at that point it was non-refundable. They are still trying to argue the case with the KC and the local authority, but may not see their money back at all, and they are still looking for a nicely bred puppy, there are so few out there right now.

If someone is going to waste my time, then I'd prefer they do it without money changing hands, and that did happen with my last litter and they were firmly told they were not having a puppy. In the end, the right homes came along for all of them (I already had 5 homes lined up but she went and had 11 puppies) and they will soon be a year old (time flies).

At the moment all breeders are inundated with queries for pups, I've had to add a note to my Champdogs account to say I have no litters planned anywhere in the near future (my only entire bitch is one of my pups from last year) just to stop people sending me messages. But a lot of breeders are using this as an opportunity to cash in, and there are very few good breeders out there with litters on the ground. So be very, very wary and make sure you have done all your research, is the breeder someone you'd want to stay in touch with (I love getting updates about my pups and still get them for my first litter back in 2012)?

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Labrador puppies are never easy, but they grow up into the most remarkable dogs. All the hard work (and lack of sleep) in the early days is so worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Tarimoor, I appreciate your input and agree. I didn’t feel 100% about it and so responded very politely saying that as we are new to this we would prefer to meet/get to know a breeder before handing money over. Appreciated that would mean we are out of the running and wished him well. I’d hate to be thought of as a time waster because we are very serious and committed to providing a forever home but as you say I need to feel confident in my decision.
And yes, we’d love to stay in touch with the breeder too so another aspect that colours my thinking!

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Thank you Tarimoor, I appreciate your input and agree. I didn’t feel 100% about it and so responded very politely saying that as we are new to this we would prefer to meet/get to know a breeder before handing money over. Appreciated that would mean we are out of the running and wished him well. I’d hate to be thought of as a time waster because we are very serious and committed to providing a forever home but as you say I need to feel confident in my decision.
And yes, we’d love to stay in touch with the breeder too so another aspect that colours my thinking!
I have a group on FB with all my puppy owners on there, and get regular updates, even if to say they've chewed yet another 'thing'. It also means I can see if someone might be struggling with a bit of training as well, and offer to help them. I want to know that my pups are in the right home for life, and circumstances can change, which I appreciate, but if I stay in touch I can step in and help out where needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my puppy in January just gone. I found the breeder on Champdogs web site and contacted prior to their birth. I visited a couple of weeks after they were born on 25th November and met both dam and sire plus was shown all documentation relating to pedigree, health checks and kennel club. I was then able to choose my puppy and then pay a deposit. The balance was paid on collection in January. I may be old fashioned but I wouldn’t have paid a deposit without first seeing the pups and their parents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. We’re about to meet a breeder with the sire and dam (and the rest of her pack) this week, trying not to get over excited but I definitely have a better feeling just in terms of being able to build up a better relationship - and trust - with this one. Fingers crossed but trying not to get ahead or ourselves!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree. We’re about to meet a breeder with the sire and dam (and the rest of her pack) this week, trying not to get over excited but I definitely have a better feeling just in terms of being able to build up a better relationship - and trust - with this one. Fingers crossed but trying not to get ahead or ourselves!
Good luck

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Good luck.

I too wouldn't of handed over the deposit without seeing the pups and dam first. With both Lucan and Ash we visited the breeder and pups at least 3 times. We were only asked for a deposit when we chose our pup on the second visit, the pups were about 5 wks old then.

Reactions: BobMonument
1 - 11 of 11 Posts