Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sunny. Born 4/12/21
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rang the vets and asked for some flea & tick treatment I was given Bravecto! My pup hasn't got fleas or anything but as the weather is warming up I want him to be ready for when they start emerging. I didn't actually speak to the vet but think this med' was issued by the nurse. This tablet is huge and I can't see my 5 month old eating it, it's supposed to be given as a whole and not cut up and I also think it may be a bit strong for such a young pup.
Has anyone used this or got an opinion about it please. We've just had a nasty 3 week bout of very loose poo (vet aware) that we've only just managed to clear up and I don't want to give him anything that might set it off again.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
I never give flea or worm treatment unless I have reason to believe I have a problem. I'm not in favour of putting strong chemicals in my dogs simply on the off chance. I did need to flea treat a year or so ago because I saw a flea, but I've not wormed any of mine for nigh on 30 years.

In fact, checking the instructions:-

"Bravecto is safe for puppies aged 6 months or older an can be given to breeding, pregnant and lactating dogs."

So according to that you should not give it for another month at least!

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
I’d take it back and ask for a refund or alternative.

Reactions: St1tch

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I would take it back and ask for a refund, and point out it's not even suitable for your pup.

Like John, I don't give mine any medication to prevent fleas/ticks, but I do give natural anti parasite ingredients in their food. If you google CSJ Billy no Mates it will bring up an off the shelf natural product you simply sprinkle over their food to deter parasites. Also, google neem oil products for dogs, as an alternative for something external to use, it's a lot less harsh than the doses of chemicals that last for several weeks, many people are now finding their dogs/cats etc do have an adverse reaction to these type of products, but also it is being found in quite high levels in our waterways, so a natural alternative is much kinder to our pets and environment.

·
Registered
Sunny. Born 4/12/21
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's going back tomorrow, I didn't get to speak to a vet but the nurse I spoke to obviously hadn't a clue how strong a product it is, she even admitted she hadn't read the information sheet. I am going to carry on worming him though, he's eating whatever he can get in his mouth including farm and wild animal poo and I've got a hell of a job fishing it out of his mouth 😱.
Thanks so much for your input, I had a gut feeling insecticides that lasts for 3 months couldn't be good for any living creature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts