Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brambles issues with eating have been well highlighted on this forum but are (I think - fingers and toes crossed!) resolved, he has been eating healthily now for a little while...

BUT, I am a bit concerned about his poos....

As he got to a year old I changed to Whites Premium food which he is now on exclusively. I don;t think it suits him brilliantly well and when this supply has been exhausted if nothing has improved I shall change foods....

He is still underweight and although I think looking better than he was I am disappointed that he does not have more weight on him...I say this because I wonder whether this is relevant to the issue...

Bramble currently produces one firm stool and then goes on to produce several more which get increasingly soft and downright watery.... this happens twice a day (ie morning and evening)

Some people have suggested that this is an exercise thing - that his bowel empties itself as he exercises whether it has been fully processed or not....

This morning he produced nasty tan coloured very soft and squishy lumps - well blobs of runny poo which were very mucusy...

Can someone give me an idea as to whether he ought to be seen by a vet (currently I am doing a wait and see exercise) as at the back of my mind I am slightly concerned this may be colitis and needing treatment or any other remedy to help firm his motions up...

whilst the smell is not exactly pleasant - they are not like Neo's were when he had diarrhoea as an allergic reaction, so I don't think that this is an allergic reaction to the food as it is so very different from my experience with Neo...

I am though concerned that the poos may be the result of the food not suiting him that well - and wonder whether it would be a good idea to say feed half and half with Arden Grange or Skinners (the two foods I am currently debating if I discontinue the Whites - which would be a major shame as he absolutely loves this food....)

I apologise for the graphic description and hope no one has been put off their tea - but would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you may have

Thanks for your help and for reading this...

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Eve I can only really say what I would do and I have read all your issues with food in the past (sorry not your issues but you know what I mean :oops: ).

I have a very simplistic view of things what is put in one end affects what comes out the other end. If I am not happy with poos I stop putting whatever it is in the front end. If you are sure Bramble has nothing else but Whites then that is the problem.

You probably know I am a Skinners Field & Trial fan (not the pet food range), so of course that is where I would go and I have to say in this instance I would probably change straight over to Duck and Rice and not bother to do it gradually as in my mind it is the Whites causing the problem so why continue using it!!!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Hi Eve,

We know how you feel, Jack had such probs with his sensitive tummy, we tried him so many different foods, we would think we had the "the one" then after a while, the runnys would appear again. :(

We did take him to the vets and they wanted to put him on their Royal Canine Vet food, which although is expensive, we were prepared to pay if it meant his tummy was sorted.

Have you had his poo tested?.

We tried him on Hills Science PLan for Sensitive tummys as a last try before we went onto the Vet food and touch wood, that has sorted him out, hopefully once and for all.

I remember reading about your bad experiences with Burns, and I have to agree with you on that one. Jack started loosing weight whilst on it and when we gave him slightly more, his runs got even worse.

I hope you manage to sort Brambles tummy out.

Tracey
x

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Oh dear, sorry to hear this Eve, you've certainly had enough eating/tummy problems with Bramble. I've no doubt what Jill and Tracey say is right, once you find the 'food that fits', he will be better.

Tracey asked if you'd had his poo tested? Its just a thought, probably nothing like this at all, but my daughter had problems with her spaniel's runny stools almost from the time she got him. It was only when he was over 2 years and she had tried everything food-wise she could, that one of her vets tested his stools and found he had campylabacter (spelt wrong I'm sure) and the vet said he's probably had it since he was a pup. It took some months of ABs to clear.

I hope you manage to get the answer soon, good luck.xx

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Poor Bramble, hope his tum is better soon.

Does sound a bit like colitis - Cadbury had that when he was little and on Skinners, so I changed him to a couple of different things, but to be honest he has been best on the BARF diet.

I don't know if this is the right advice, but have you thought about giving a little natural yoghurt if he will take it? When Cadbury was on his ABs for kennel cough my trainer recommended this, he was on dried food at the time and it didn't seem to conflict with that, he still has regular portions of it and he has lovely poos now!

Good luck with Bramble

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
hi eve, i have to agree with the others and its the whites causing the problem, hope you get it resolved soon, on the plus side it doesnt seem to be effecting him in any other way, ie:- he is still lively enough and not acting ill in any other way, which again indicates towards the whites,

(((((((((hugs to you and the boys)))))))))))))

sheila and zak

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Poor Bramble, it does sound like it might be colitis to me. Are sensitive stomachs red and whites suffer from, I seem to recall reading somewhere that a barf diet is recommended for them, may just be waffling on here though :lol:

I hope it settles soon Eve x

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions - we have just come back from a walk and what was produced was disgusting - all frothy and fermenty...which got me thinking...I gave Bramble a Jumbone (much to Neo's disgust because he didn;t have one for obvious reasons!) Christmas Day (present from dog training...) so I am wondering if that has upset his system...

Just checked and I have no chicken breasts in but have some eggs and tuna so I guess Bramble will be on tuna and rice for tea - and we will see what he is like in the morning.

thanks again - and Jill I tend to agree with you if it is the whites just change, its my uncertainty about what is causing this that makes me question what the right action is...

But honestly wouldn;t you know it! I just get the bu88er eating and then this happens!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks again!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Eve that is why I asked the question is that all he has eaten - a Jumbone whilst a treat for him is full of rubbish for his insides. (Can you guess I have had issues with people telling me its the food then found out that they have had all sorts of "treats" :roll: :D )

If I were you I would make sure Whites is all that is in there and if the situation is the same change.

Edited because I called Bramble a her sorry!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
the jumbones (i presume the pedigree thingys?) send my 2 a bit funny but i know this is going to be the case and therefore don't worry too much but i suspect that might be the cause this time for bramble.

poor love... bless him

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Eve, it could well be the jumbone thingie, not sure what they contain but they're made by Pedigree aren't they? I don't think anything made by Pedigree is particularly great ingredients wise?

Does he have any other treats? I know you're very careful with the main food but some dog treats will have colourings etc in that you would avoid in the food (there's one called Frolic I think which is rather, erm, coloursome!).

I did wonder about a stool test too - but if it could be tied into the jumbone I think, if he were mine, I'd see how things go, give him some scrambled egg (I tend to do that with mine if they are loose) and review in a day or two. Hopefully it will clear up :grouphuuug:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Thanks - I did think several times about giving the Jumbone, but I feel so sorry for him - he misses out on so much because of Neo - that I decided to give him the Jumbone

I am certain that this is the only thing that is likely to have given him a funny tummy - they both had Christmas dinner but there was nothing in that that Bramble hadn't had before and been fine with, treats are confined to what Neo can eat - i.e. his kibble and cheese - again nothing that Bramble hasn;t had for the past year....

I don;t think that the Jumbone is the entire story but think if I give his tum a rest and then review - oh! and he is definitely rather aromatic and has been for several days!!!!

Angela we do have some frolic here - which funnily enough Neo can tolerate in small doses but I haven;t given that for months on end (because its in the garage and I forgot about it :oops: :oops: )

If it doesn;t settle then I will definitely think about the poo test, but to be honest Bramble is so well in himself - absolutely on top of the world - that I find it hard to believe that this is anything very serious...

Thanks again - I really appreciate the input!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Hi Eve

So sorry Bramble is having the 'poo' issues. I know that feeling well, as Lucy was like this before we switched her foods, but funnily enough, Whites suits her amazingly well. I guess its a trial and error jobby really!

Have to agree about the Jumbone....they send Lucy LOOPY!!!!! Bouncing off the walls for half an hour and all sorts lol

If it does continue though, i'd take a sample to your vets just to be on the safe side and at least rule out anything like colitus.

Good luck, send me love to your boys and let us know how he gets on!

J xxx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts