Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! :)
This is my first post! So, we are looking to get our first dog for our family. We have found a breeder that we think we will be using, we are due to visit them this week.
However, I wondered what people’s thoughts are on the pros and cons of having a boy or a girl? My initial thought was a girl as I’d heard they can be easier to train?
Any advice or opinions much appreciated! Thanks all ;)(y)
Jo

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
The choice is yours, it really is a very personal thing. I started with males, my first bitch coincided with my first Labrador and since then it's been bitches all the way. I find the general nature of dogs more straight forward than bitches. Bitches can be more devious in their ways. (Much like ladies ;) ) Many dogs are attracted to bitches, where bitches are only really attracted to dogs when in season. But of course you have the problem of seasons every 6 months or so, along with the hormonal changes in character, where dogs don't get seasons so tend to be more consistent. As for ease of training, dog owners like to think the bitches they meet are easier to train than their dog, but in all honesty, you get out what you put in. There is very little difference.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Oh gawd, my first boy is by far the hardest I’ve ever had. Holy moly. Having said that, I will have boys in the future, mainly because I’m not planning to breed. I might take a litter from Pops, but that’ll be it and only if she does well in the show ring. I’ve got so many things I’d like to improve on her, I’m going to struggle to find the right dog. Having said that, Fred has many of the qualities she lacks (imho) but he has no track record and there’s no way to know which genes would be dominent.

Boys it is for me now.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Boys here too. I've only ever had 1 bitch in over 40 yrs of dog ownership, never again, she was a right little cow bag! LOL

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
In the days when I was running training classes, time and again women walked in with dogs and men walked in with bitches! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts