Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was looking forward to getting a stretch of my leg's after lazying about all day on xmas. So i was up bright and early at half 8 sorting out everything, I was bringing wee Annie so it would be her first real shoot with me shooting.

The day started slow and was really wet, but because we have such a small shoot its a great laugh, with all the usual characters there.
The first few drive's didnt put up alot of bird's- which made us worry 8)

The drive's before lunch were teaming with woodcock, I mean hundered's.
I was tryin to keep count how many got up and lost count at around 20 8O Anyway's i wasnt really bothering about shooting i was mostly concentrating on my little hound. The first retreive of the day for Annie was a far out woodcock that she lifted turning broadside to me i gave it both barrel's (Which was more luck than skill) After it fell about 50 yards out i sent Her. straight to it but it was a runner- it had managed to get down a ditch and follow it on for 10 yard's . Annie eventually got the line and disapeared for a few second's and re-appered with the woodcock :D she delivered to hand which earned her a bonieo. After a Huge flurry of woodcock which could only be descibed as bedlem eveyone headed back to base to defrost and for a few drink's.

After lunch- And alot of remembering how much we all had missed between us, we headed off for the moor ( which hold's alot more of woodcock and phesant ) Although it is hell for walking and trying to beat on. The first few shot's were a double left and a right from big Davie (not alot get's past him with his 20b 8) ) His Chocolate lab was the top dog towards the end of the day. I also got a high Hen bird which was going like a rocket. I didnt send Annie for it to make sure she was steady and not running in. There was another new dog up today- it was a cross between a german short haired pointer and a springer- A Sprointer :lol: (made me chuckle) anyway Annie wiped his eye when he refused to retreive a hen later on in the day.

Annie also pegged a cracker of a cockbird, during a drive when she was in heel got a whiff of him and pegged him :?
Sadly i had to dispatch him because he was very poorly from a wound on his back- Probaly old foxy :evil:

We had a wee young lad who was dead keen on everything and Will be our Future GameKeeper!

End bag 27 pheasant and 3 woodcock :D
Me giving her a kiss for her good work

Posing with the final bag

Tis was a great day.
Annie was brilliant and made me really proud- what more can you ask for?

Thank's for reading and looking,

And Have a happy new year
(hopefully by then Annie will have woken up :lol: )

Cheer's
Lewis

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well done Annie. It certainly sounds as though you have earned your snooze!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing your day.

Have a Happy New Year yourself Lewis.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's, She is coming up for 9 and a half month's,

Hope you have a happy new year too :D

Cheer's

·
Administrator
20,589 Posts
Sounds like you had a smashing day Lewis. We had a "Walk Round" this morning, although I was not there. I'll be going over tomorrow to do the feeding and get the news from today. Our next proper day is on the 3rd.

Regards, John

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Great pictures great report! Glad you had a good day - am very jealous!

Now, tell me, WHO shot the white/albino pheasant!!??? On our shoot that is a cardinal sin and goes with a fine to be paid of £50!!! ;-) ;-)

Di

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diana said:
Now, tell me, WHO shot the white/albino pheasant!!??? On our shoot that is a cardinal sin and goes with a fine to be paid of £50!!! ;-) ;-)

Di
Hehe i thought someone would notice :lol:

It was shot by one of the old experienced gun's but it was such a good shot we let him off with a £30 fine ! :lol:

Cheer's

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Diana said:

Di
My thoughts exactly. Same fine down here. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
What a super thread Lewis, thank you :D

Really enjoyed reading about your day and loved the photos. Annie is obviously not only beautiful but very talented too :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts