Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here knew of any UK based Border Collie forums? I'm looking for something similar (helpful and friendly) to LF but for Collies. 8)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Are you getting one?

When I had mine I used a general dog forum for all breeds, I never thought to search for a breed specific one. Sadly mine was a badly bred dog with problems in a less than ideal novice home and things went badly wrong resulting in a heartbreaking end to the story. :cry:

If you don't find a breed specific one you might find lots of BC owners on agility forums, there are also a lot of collies in flyball but the BFA forum isn't really very active so probably wouldn't be a great source of BC information.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coco-Loco said:
Are you getting one?

Noooo....I'm not THAT mad :wink: . I would have loved one in my youth, but I'm far too broken and creaky for one now.

I've got an Agility mad young friend. She was thinking of getting another Choccy Lab, but I think I've finally convinced her to get a "Serious" agility dog, as she wants to compete SO badly. Trouble is, I know so little about the breed, I was hoping to pick Collie-Bod Brains, so we don't go making any silly mistakes when purchasing a pup.

I'll look at the Agility Forums. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Border collies are a difficult breed, they can be very clever (always one step ahead!) but can also be very difficult to manage.

I know BCs who are very gentle, loving dogs, will do anything they are asked to do and make fantastic companions.

Mine was quite nervy, nippy, high prey drive and turned aggressive in adolescence. I could never have done agility with her as she would have nipped me whenever I ran (something I have seen a few collies do in agility). She chased and tried to nip cyclists, joggers, passing cars, other dogs etc and became very unpredictable. She would probably have chased other dogs if I'd tried flyball too. These are common traits in many BCs so careful selection should be undertaken to ensure that the parents were both of good temperament.

A border collie needs to work - long walks are not enough and ball throwing can exacerbate prey drive/chasing issues.

Almost 6 years on I still find my experience a very painful one, I would hate someone else to have to suffer the way I did but my experience probably makes me seem more negative than many BC owners would be. Anyone wanting a border collie needs time, experience, and lots of research plus the back up of BC experienced people. Border collies do not fit the mould that most other dogs come out of.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are common traits in many BCs so careful selection should be undertaken to ensure that the parents were both of good temperament.
We've got 18 months to research and find the right dog, and if we can't find one, we'll fall back on Plan A...Another Choccie Lab. :wink:

My young friend is a dedicated dog owner (believe me I'd have given up on trying to train her stubborn, awkward Lab years ago :lol: ), she is also Agility mad, has endless energy, the willingness to learn and the patience of a saint (see the above comment). She is very competitive, so I can't see the point of her getting another Lab to compete with, especially if she insists on getting a Choccie one (not too many full working bred ones, are there). I know this would be her first choice of dog to live with though, as she still lives with her parents and they aren't that Dog Savvy. Trouble is, if she leaves the BC until she's older and living on her own, chances are she won't have the time to commit to one...or the energy if she has kids too. So I'm pushing her to get a BC when she finishes Uni, otherwise I fear she'll Miss the Boat, so to speak. I'm very aware this dog needs to be the RIGHT dog though. We can't afford to get this wrong, as she'll probably only have one shot at owning a Collie.

She can always have the next Choccy Lab later, when life is more full of other "stuff", as Labs tend to fit in anywhere, don't they. 8)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Would she not consider a working cocker? Or a Sheltie? :wink:

If my brother's plans come to fruition he will have a working BC pup end of 2014 or 2015, for working his sheep. I intend stealing it for agility, though I personally wouldn't want to own one.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would she not consider a working cocker? Or a Sheltie? :wink:
I tried to sell the idea of a WCS, but as her parents really don't like little dogs, there wasn't much hope there. She said she'd consider one once she had a place of her own, but chances are that won't be for a few years yet.

It took her 7 years to convince them to let her have any dog and another 7 to convince them to allow her a second one. She's still working on convincing them to allow her to have something other than another Lab. I can only admire her determination 8). If she were my daughter I'd have given her the moon if she so desperately wanted it, but I'm a bit of a pushover when it comes to my kids (more than a "bit" come to think of it :lol: ) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts