Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old can we start giving Poppy bones? (she is 10weeks tomorrow). The livery by us has all the knuckle bones etc but were worried she is a bit to young? What are the benefits of her chewing bones? Is the marrow really good for them?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
You can give her smallish (not to small though) ones from now, they are great for their teeth, Cindy is almost 12 and has lovely pearly whites due to the bones she has.

At 10 weeks I don`t think Poppy is big enough for knuckle bones yet, ask your butcher if they have ribs one of these will keep her amused for sometime, with baby teeth its unlikely she`ll be able to crunch through it but she`ll enjoy trying :D

The marrow is good for them yes but can be fattening so if she has one with marrow in make an allowance with her normal food :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_Mary_ said:
You can give her smallish (not to small though) ones from now, they are great for their teeth, Cindy is almost 12 and has lovely pearly whites due to the bones she has.

At 10 weeks I don`t think Poppy is big enough for knuckle bones yet, ask your butcher if they have ribs one of these will keep her amused for sometime, with baby teeth its unlikely she`ll be able to crunch through it but she`ll enjoy trying :D

The marrow is good for them yes but can be fattening so if she has one with marrow in make an allowance with her normal food :)
Does Cindy eat the whole bone? 8O

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Just to add - my personal preference is to give raw bones rather than the cooked ones that can be bought in pet shops. The cooked ones are more likely to splinter, whereas raw bones don't. Beef bones are especially good, though might be a bit on the large side for a puppy.

My two dogs both love the occasional bone like this, including Topsy, who is a very petite little cocker spaniel. In fact, they are in the garden gnawing away at the moment and it has kept them out of the way whilst a workman was in this afternoon. :D

I would say that it certainly does clean their teeth, but I have to limit the amount of chewing time I give them each day, as it seems to cause constipation if given in large amounts.

Helen.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Delisle said:
Does Cindy eat the whole bone? 8O
Oh yes!!, depending on its size, as I said if she`s had around 30/45 mins then I take away from her (not without and arguement I might add :lol: ), I don`t give her knuckle type bones cos they are just to big, even CJ can`t eat one but likes to get as much marrow out as he can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts