Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear LF members,

My boy is now over a year and due to various poo problems with what we thought of was burns but which we now think may be a reaction to worming tablets he is now settled on science plan. Our vet is really pleased about this however I have read the comments on the forum and we may well change him to something else.

Anyway to get to the point when he was on burns I followed religiously their advice of not feeding any additional food or treats save for the odd bonio and carrot. We would really love to give him the odd bone as am sure he would really enjoy it and I wonder if anyone would have any suggestions on the type of bone we could give him bearing in mind his sensitive tum?

As always would welcome any advice,

Annie + Digger.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi,

i am not a 'big' bone feeder so hopefully others will be along soon.

make sure you feed Raw not cooked bones. We go for the strongest bones the butcher had (usually a shin i believe) as basil breaks them very very easily. We used let him only have them for 20 minutes at a time, now we know there are no effects on his tum though he has them for longer or until they are gone :D

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
A raw lamb shank is a good one or marrowbaon but watch this as the marrow is quit rich and can out weight on and make them a bit runny :(

Chicken wings are also good to start with

Hold the bone when first starting so they leran to crunch and not swallow whole-this needs to be done with the wings as they are small. :D

Make sure they are raw and not cooked :D

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
ohh would love to give mine bones but we havent enough rooms to separate them lol and im sure ww3 would break out with them fighting over them

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
As Sarah says feed only raw bones never cooked as they splinter very easily and can cause problems.

You may find it`ll upset his tummy til he gets used to them, it may be best really to leave him as he is now he`s settled on a food plan :)

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
Ruby started off on lamb shank bones when she was small (buy fresh from tesco cut off the meat for us she had the bones) now she has marrow bones and LOVES them she has never had poo problems with them and weight isnt an issue for her. She gets at least one a week and when she was in season she had 4 or 5 a week :wink:

I plan to get LOADS in next week when she is spayed as half a marrow bone keeps her busy for about an hour :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts