Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As recommended by Sarah at the GT on Saturday we payed a visit to our local butcher who gave us two beef shank bones for free!

Last night we gave Joey one and ....... wait for it .......... I got to watch an entire episode of Lost uninterrupted!

And he could have gone on for another good hour or so, so might attempt a film this weekend - imagine the possibility!

Just wondered if it was ok to give him a couple of these a week. Although I think the one he's on will last him a good few days.

Also can I give him them frozen so it soothes his teeth.

And (stupid question!) will he actually eat the bone? Or do I take it away before he gets that far?

I highly recommend these for teething pups! :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I sometimes get Dan bones from the butcher but they are quite hard to get hold of sometimes and they tend to sell out, so if there are any I buy a couple and stick one in the freezer. He absolutely loves them and they keep him quiet for hours. Its quite difficult to drag him away from his to get him to go outside and then he rushes back. It keeps him occupied for hours, if not days! I think he was quite young when I first gave him one.

They sometimes get a bit smelly after a couple of days or so which is when I tend to take them. Some of them don't get smelly at all as he has had all the meaty bits off them and some he's still got MONTHS later! 8O He still comes back to them sometimes.

One thing, we do take them from him from time to time and give them back to him, as he growls a lot - we've worked out that it isn't being agressive or particularly protective - he comes dashing up to you, bone stuffed in his mouth, wagging his tail, but growling and shoving it at you! Its more of an excitement thing. But all the same, we make a conscious effort to take them away just after he has got it when he is still very excited to make sure he is not being too over protective with them. This may not be right but we like to know we can do it. He does growl but will give it up easily although I am a bit apprehensive about giving him bones when the children are around (they are my OH's children who come at weekends) and haven't done just as a precaution really.

I'm sure there are more expert opinions who will advise you about bones.
Bliss though! I gave one to Dan the other weekend when we were spending most of the day stripping walls - he just gnawed away happily all day :D Oh yes, I actually took this one straight from the freezer.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two!

I really feel liberated! He's just getting stuck into adolescence (20 weeks) and its like we've gone back in time a month and he needs constant attention again!

He really loved it, and then at bedtime I got OH to take it off him and put it in the freezer to save for next time. He did growl a bit (this is another new thing he's started doing - adolescence again I imagine!), but we weren't standing for any nonsense and just prised it out of his mouth, and he was fine afterwards. Went straight to bed without a peep!

Jill - I think we should put a notice on the LF homepage for all young pup owners to alert them to this wonderful discovery - kongs will be nothing compared!!!

Phillipa - I thought it smelt a bit meaty in his bed this morning. And I'm a vegetarian so I'm going to have to get over my squeamishness about them!
he just gnawed away happily all day
Pure genius!!!

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!! I did attempt to get lamb shank bone a few weks ago but couldnt get one - what other bones can I try??????

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I think a beef bone may be a bit hard to allow Joey to try and break up, but a lamb shank (complete with meat) would be ok, CJ and Cindy get those for meals sometimes, course the butcher won`t give you those unfortunately, but maybe if you tell him its for the dog you may get them a bit cheaper!.

It is a good idea as Philippa says to take it from him then give it back sometimes as well, just to show him that its actually your bone, but you chose to give it to him.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I'm planning to march down to my local butchers today. :lol: Although, i'm the same, I'm also vegitarian so the smell almost makes me sick.
I think the worst smell of all though, has to be when you are making those liver treats, the smell and blood from the liver 8O I just plonk the liver into the sink and leave the cold tap running for 5 minuites then go back to it. lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh God - Jill I couldn't do that. Joey gets treats bought from the shops.

I even cringe when I have to cut up OH's chicken! :lol:

Vicky - I knew you'd want one!!! :lol:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I think you ladies that are vegetarian are very brave to give your animals meat and bones, so many people turn them into vegetarians too and dogs just are`nt built that way, I take my hat off to you all :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mary - I would'nt have even considered feeding him anything but meat - thats what they were designed for!

And last night just shows that their natural diet (raw meat and bones) is really what they want more than any manufactured treats!

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
he he Nic am i too predictable - butcher down my road only has marrow bones????? He seemed to think too rich for a 14 week pup. What is the difference between beef shank and marrow bone then assume its different part of animal but which??

Have solved it though - buying lamb shanks from Tesco tonight oh can play butcher and we will have casserole and Ruby will be one happy puppy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will try and get some pictures as am sure her eyes will pop out of her head - he he. How much meat should I leave on???? Also just to make doubly sure I can leave her with lamb shank its just beef that will be too much?????

I might save it for X-factor final as DONT want to miss that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anybody's dog writhe around on the floor after eating their bone, rubbing their mouth & head on the ground? 8O Archie has done this after every bone he has chewed on - it's really funny to watch!! :lol:

OH's theory is that they are trying to get the scent of the meat off them, because in the wild this would attract other dogs to their food supply. :?:

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I will have a look next time I didnt notice what she did afterwards to be honest :lol:

he he - Ruby just went nuts!!!!! Honestly I kept going to check she was still ok - she tried to take the bone on the sofa 8O 8O then we stood up and she thought we wanted it so ran off to her crate and thats were she stayed FOR HOURS AND HOURS - oh my god the cat even went to the crate to see if she was there I think as she hadnt had this much peace in nearly 2 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

I LOVE BONES

ps I was nearly gagging at the 'butcher' smell in her crate and on her bed. I dont know how you veggies put up with it - worth it for the peace though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Thats what I do as well Vicky, usually with Gammon Shanks, leave enough meat on to make it interesting (though it will be anyway!) and give Ruby something to keep her occupied, don`t worry if she breaks the bone up it won`t harm her, I think she maybe a little to young for gammom shank atm, but she`ll get to those later as well, those make them very thirsty though so be prepared for a lot of drinking and water on the floor :D .

Marrow bones are too strong for their jaws and may lead to broken teeth, but if you keep an eye on her and remove it when she`s trying to break it up it should be ok, some people say they should`nt have the marrow, but it is good for them and you can remove it from the bone yourself and add it to her food, but remember to take it from her daily allowance :)

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
this one was lamb shank MAry - think thats about the best for her age isnt it???

I did notice the thirst and it was quite late when we gave it to her so I had visions of a few puddles in her crate this morning but nothing - good girl.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It's so lovely watching her so happy her little face ahhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I can`t remember how old she is :roll: , must be about 5 months now?, yes the lamb shank should be fine for her, and will help with her teething and give her something to chew rather than the furniture :D once her teeth are through you`ll find they won`t last long, CJ can get through a complete one meat and all in under 15 minutes!, but then he`s a pig :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Right, as a veggie too i must admit that i have been putting off atrip tp the butchers. Keep meaning to send OH instead. But after reading this, will def. be going this week. OOH Holly...bones for Christmas!!! 8O :D

Mind you, as ive always been veggie, well for as long as i remember and certainly before doing my own cooking!!, and I usually leave meat buying and cooking for hubby ( I can just manage to cut up chicken breasts etc.. for kids tea) I might have to write down a list of suggested bones from here to make sure i get the right thing. How sad is that!!

Shelley

P.S. Im sure Holly would thank you for starting this post Nic :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Nothing sad about it Shelley, you`ll know your getting the right one/s for Holly if you have a list :) , not to mention looking good for the butcher :D

Holly will love you even more if she gets a bone for Christmas, would`nt hubby get the bones for you when he buys meat for him and the kids?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well its an idea Mary, but its hard enough getting him to the shops to buy MY Christmas pressies...unless he's bluffing and theres a lovely pressie hding somewhere :lol: :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts