Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all at the moment i am giving rosze my 9mth old knuckle bones while she is in her crate to keep her occupied and to give her something to chew on instead of my house..lol.. the pet shop owner said these last for ages well not with rosze they dont 4 days at the most..lol..

just wondering do you give your dogs bones if so which ones and how long do they last??

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi

Bailey has pedigree calcium bones as treats, greenies for his teeth and the bones i get are the softer white hyde. Our local pet shop buy them from a health shop for dogs ( tried looking for a label but i don't have one here at the moment) - a little more expensive but Bailey prefers them. A 12" knotted bone will last him about 3 - 4 days but boy the keep him amused and the tail does not stop!! :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i give max the filled steralised bones. once hes got the filling out i soak them over night in gravy or marmite. one happy boy the next morning :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I only give raw, never cooked bones - and only when I'm there.

Have you tried kongs - if you freeze them they last longer.

Jenny :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes she has the kong but rosze has a super toungue and will clean that kong out in secounds..lol..

i thought the knuckle bones would be good but like i said 4 days the most they last..lol..she sucks em dry then breaks them up..lol..good job they only cost 50p...
i also have the huge pressed bones but she chews the end then leaves them alone also the white chalk filled with trip once they are empty in the middle she ignores them also..lol..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can get big black ones (the toughest), and if you put some of her daily food allowance in, it won't upset her diet. If you mean the deep fried marrow bones, I'd be a bit worried about giving so many, they are so high in fat.
She'll probably grow out of it, but does she get plenty of mental stimulation too. Games, training, etc - I've always found that more tiring than physical exercise.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi lablover :p no i dont give her the marrow bones i dont think..lol..the bones with the trip in middle are very hard white bones in variuos sizes...but like i said she ignores them when the centre has all gone out of them..lol.

she only has the bones when she is locked in her crate when we go out other than that she is free to play and run with the other dogs and pay fight me of course..lol...

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hi lablover

I tend not to give my dogs bones, what I do give them though does keep them occupied for some time. :)

Pigs ears, Raw hide chews,(long skinny ones) nylobones, pedigree rasks, and pedigree denta sticks. :)

Hope this helps :)

Colette(Brighteye)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Colette

I only feed the occasional raw bone as a treat (and it is a rare treat - when I go to the butchers and remember to ask :) )
I never give raw hide or pigs ears - it can get caught in the roof of their mouth and in their throat and cause choking. Raw hide has also been associated with intestinal blockage. Obviously many dogs eat them without problems, but I prefer not to risk it. I've not had a bad chewer (except as a puppy) so just give a raw knuckle bone occasionally.
You may find this interesting
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/pets/600
http://www.christyscanines.com/rawhide.htm

regards
Jenny :)

·
Premium Member
8,850 Posts
I never give bones, cooked or raw. Mine have small rawhide chews and only when I'm there to supervise. If I did give bones I don't think I would risk it while the dog was crated or I was not there. My sister used to feed hers raw chicken necks as a treat (sounds disgusting :? )

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't give Buster bones except Jumbones (which aern't really a bone) I used to give him Rawhide until I read about the dangers.

Kev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts