Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on here about people giving veg in with food, what type of veg can be given, and also bones, I have only ever given Loki a marrow bone what others can he have. I just need ways to pad out his poor eating habits.

Thanks
Jan

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Have you seem something about bones and raw food? Otherwise known as the BARF diet? It is basically a diet based on what dogs would eat in the wild.

Mine get raw bones and blended veggies on a morning, and then offal or fish for their second meal, sometimes with a couple of left over bits of bone in. It keeps their teeth incredibly clean, and seems to help keep them free of any anal gland problems. I use a lot of chicken bones and carcasses, lamb bones are also good, although the large beef marrow bones mine get as a treat occasionally for an hour or so, before they're taken off them and refrozen for another day. I haven't got a reliable source of pork bones, which can carry more parasites, so they don't get those. They can also eat raw fish, although I've found unless they've had them since pups they tend to turn their nose up a bit, and they can cause a tummy upset as well if they're not used to them.

For the veggies its the same as for us humans, a varied mix of root, leaf and pulses - not so much broccolli which can be harmful in large amounts. Nuts also contain a lot of good nutrients, anything except macadamias are good to just occasionally pop a few in with the blended veggies. Mine also get left overs and some fruit, bananas, pears etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts