Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any bones that can be given to a puppy? Used to give my old dog a big bone on Christmas day while we ate but not sure if theres anything not as hard that could be given to a pup, he will be 5 months at Christmas.

May just need to fill his kong (once I buy a new one as his current is on its way out!)

thank you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been giving my puppy bones - supervised - as I hadn't realised there might be a problem. Are you worried about them hurting your pup' s teeth?

?

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't give him a bone on Christmas Day if he's never had one before, as that's a recipe for a squitty pup later on in the day :wink: .

Start him on bones now, so his tum is used to them by Christmas. If mine haven't been weaned onto raw bones and meat, then I start them off on either lamb or beef ribs. These don't have too much meat on them or marrow in them, so tend to be gentler on the tum, plus they are fairly soft bones (unlike weight bearing bones), so easier on the teeth 8) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't give my pup a bone, but I do give mine Stagbar Antler Chews which are 100% natural (link removed for advertising)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have those stagbars not been knows to break and hurt them pup / dog? Wasn't it on here someone posted that? Or am I imagining things.....

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Our friend Marleypup was advertising her website or one she associated with so I left her post up but removed the links.

Yes, Stagbars have been known to break teeth and cause damage to dogs jaws.

?

·
0 Posts
LyndsayxHudson said:
Have those stagbars not been knows to break and hurt them pup / dog? Wasn't it on here someone posted that? Or am I imagining things.....
There was a post here about the damage done by Stagbars a couple of months ago, so you're not imagining it :wink: .

Personally, I think there is a small risk with whatever they put in their mouths. I had one young dog completely block her airway with her usual dry food. If I hadn't been right there when she collapsed, there is no doubt she would have died. I've not had a problem with raw bones or stag bars though *touches wood*.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts