Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If I give Truffle a bone, should I reduce his meals that day to allow for it, and if so how much food should I take away? He currently has 450g of Skinners puppy and is about 20 weeks old.
Also how often would you give a bone? At the moment I'm letting him have it every few days for about 45 minutes (and I have to keep hold of one end so I can take it away to refreeze :roll: ) and that doesn't seem to be causing any tummy problems so I was thinking of just letting him have it and eat it all - he definitely is not a chew for a few minutes and then voluntarily give it up kind of dog :D . The bones are quite big (about the size of a hand) but he's not having any problems with chewing them.

Many thanks

Cat and Truffle

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Just giving this a bump for you.

I didn't ever reduce Bracken's food quantities if I gave her a bone now and then. I used kibble as training treats for as long as I could get away with it, and I deducted that from her daily allowance, but that was it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Theo only gets his bones for about 1-2hours atm, we're well known at the butchers so they do tend to give us quite large ones for him!! but we still give him his normal food ration on the days he has had the bone to chew.

?

·
0 Posts
It depends on the bones and how much meat is on them, also how much they have actually eaten of the bone, as to whether I cut down their rations.

I tend to feed the smaller bones, which Mojo and Pood eat, so if they are all eaten and they had a fair amount of meat on them, then I reduce their evening meal by about 1/2-1/3. At the moment Pickle is only just learning to crunch the bone up to swallow it, rather than just picking the little bits meat off, so I barely reduce her rations at all.

Also because I feed the smaller bones I don't ever take them away, unless they walk away and leave them when they have had enough.

Mine get bones about twice a week at the moment. It depends on the supply I can get from the butcher, as to how often I feed them. I don't give Mojo bones for more than 2 days on the trot though, as I find they bunge her up a bit, if I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts