Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bough Bob Martin spot on for dogs. Diesel is long over due a treatment. It was on offer at the super market so i thought why not.

I've just spoken to a fried who told me not to use the product on him as it doesn't mix well with some animals and can kill them 8O
I wouldn't have thought this could be possible as this is a product designed for dogs but having just read some reviews im not sure if i should use it now or not. :?

Has anyone else used this before or been told not to by a vet?
Any help would be great.

G

·
Sorry I've never used Bob Martins Spot On. I know you do have to be very careful with cats, as some of the spot ons are very toxic to them but I haven't heard the same about dogs.

Have you used it before and him been ok?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i haven't used it on him before.
We normally get one from the vet but thought id save myself some money as the were half price at £1.49 each.
Im not to sure now

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Dog Spot On used on cats can indeed kill them and it's very easy to mix up.
However, dog Spot On used on dogs is utter pants and will not work at all. It is a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milford_Cubicle said:
However, dog Spot On used on dogs is utter pants and will not work at all. It is a complete waste of money.

LOL so that why it was so cheap! :lol:
I knew it was too good to be true :roll:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
You're better off asking your vet for some Stronghold or Advocate as it is a flea and worm treatment in one. I still use Frontline though on both my cats and Indy - I use the Oldies Club link via VetUK :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The spot on is highly toxic to cats and does nothing for dogs. Alfie was very itchy when he came home so we got him frontlined instead, its only costs 8 quid in my vets. More a precaution than anything else...

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Milford_Cubicle said:
You're better off asking your vet for some Stronghold or Advocate as it is a flea and worm treatment in one. I still use Frontline though on both my cats and Indy - I use the Oldies Club link via VetUK :)
I do the same. Luna has Stronghold or Advocate monthly (must apply tonight! - she's overdue!) and then Frontline during the 'prone to get ticks months' and it works as have found dead ticks either fallen off her or clinging on dead! 8O

I also ordered the frontline online as is much cheaper along with Drontal for every 3months.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ask your vet for prescription for Advantix or Advocat, once yo've got it you can buy it on-line, it is cheaper. But I know some vets will charge for prescription.

·
Registered
602 Posts
At last year's puppy parties our vet told us that any flea treatments you buy in the supermarket may not be as effective as the ones you get from the vet. Something to do with the ingredients and how they have to be a certain level to be sold in the supermarket. There were concerns about Frontline now it can be bought in pet shops but I've found it to be okay for Hudson.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
KerryL said:
Are the flea collars no good either then?
Nup because they only kill fleas around the neck and not on the rest of the body, the "exclusion zone" flea collars give is very limited.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I used Spot On for the first time this year and I have found it to be better than Frontline.

We have a lot of ticks where we live and found our dogs were still getting them with Frontline but so far none with Spot On. Our vet had warned that some treatments might start to become ineffective so perhaps our ticks have become immune to Frontline :)

I don't really like using chemicals on them but we were getting so many ticks, we were picking off about 7 crawling ones at a time! Yuk.

Eileen

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have tried Frontline on poppy and it did absolutely nothing so I now need to find an alternative. From reading posts it looks like I need to get either Advantix or stronghold - is that right? Are these spot on treatments too or pills? I've only ever used Frontline before and Poppy is the first pet I've had where it hasn't worked.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
EllieW - when you say it doesn't work does Poppy have a flea or tick infestation. Only if she does the treatment is different - I think it's fortnightly for a while.

Re ticks, frontline doesn't kill the eggs, so you might frontline and kills the adults but several weekes later find more.

I prefer frontline combo as that kills the eggs too (and in bedding it claims :? ). That's prescription only.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I used spot on when I first got Ruby as a pup, she was covered in fleas, Spot on for puppies got rid of all of them, you could see then falling off her. When she had her vet appointment a few days later she had none, vet gave me advocate for her.
She sicked up loads of live worms in my kitchen so I guess it worked well for the worms too 8O
Poor little Ruby she was in a bad way when I got her.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thanks guys. Wow, poor Ruby that sounds horrid.

Poppy wasn't infested just a few lingering fleas! I have now treated her with advocate so fingers crossed. I also had only bought regular frontline so will buy frontline combo from the vets in the future as I now realise it breaks the lifecycle and is therfore much better!

thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
Thought i'd try and impart some knowledge.
Bob Martin Spot on is made by the same company as Frontline - It contains the same active ingredient but is an AVM-GSL product - I.e. can be sold on any supermarket shelf without an RQP to provide/prescribe it.

Frontline (if its only available from Vet's (Im not entirely sure)) is a vet only medicine because it's said to contain an chemical that treats for a different skin condition - This is a great money spinner for Vets so the company dont want to lower the level, even though it should be an AVM-GSL.

Spot ons should be applied to the SKIN, not the fur - That is why some people might have no effect shown.

HTH.
Joe.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Fleas all gone now - hoorah! It seems that it was just the strength of the frontline that was the issue (not the stuff you get from vets). thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I used to use Bob Martin Spot on and saw that Jayda was scratching her ears alot. I took her to thet vets to find out she had fleas! So it didn't work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts