Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's one for the clever health people amongst you - Have just had a text from Tom to say that Moss, his 10 year old collie x spaniel, has blood coming from his willy. Not when he wee's, just when Tom got home at lunchtime, and Moss had been resting. Apparently he has been itchy around that area for a few days.

Moss drinks for England at all times, so we are suspecting maybe kidneys. Although would that make him itchy? I have told Tom to take a urine sample and I've made an appt at the vet after work this evening.

I told Tom to put a white towel in Moss's bed so that we can see how much, if any, more blood comes out this afternoon.

If any one can think of anything else I need to find out before I take him please let me know! Tom will be combining, so he can't take Moss himself.

Although I have a love / hate relationship with Moss I wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable. It's not his fault he is a grumpy nervous wreck of a dog! (All the same I will put his muzzle on for the trip!)

Thanks

Katy

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My old lab, Sam, had problems with his prostate and he started dripping blood from his willy when these problems started.

Hopefully its just an infection.

Good luck with him at the vets, and to Tom with the combining, we hope to start again tomorrow if the weather stays dry, finished the oats and rape and we are now drying it all like mad to make way for the wheat ( sorry off topic there!!)

Hope you get sorted soon Moss.

Trace x

G

·
I'm just wondering if he has perhaps passed a kidney or bladder stone, as these can cause bleeding. I doubt it would make him itch though, although that could be totally unrelated.

I suppose he could have a grass seed up there, as I'd imagine that would be very irritating and could cause bleeding too.

Wracking my little brain here. :wink:

I hope all goes well at the vets and they can patch him up quickly.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
No idea why he should be bleeding but hope all goes well with the vets visit and a cause can be found and treated for the poor lad.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls.

I did wonder about grass seeds, Jules, as round here we have a lot of those ones which attach with a type of hook to the dogs coats. I'm forever picking them off the Labs (and me!). I do groom Moss sometimes, but he is very much Tom's dog and tends to bite me first and ask questions later, so I don't do it that often! (And then only with a muzzle on :roll: !) But I do think that is a good point to raise at the vets, thanks.

I'm not looking forward to taking him - the poor boy is a nervous wreck at the best of times, and without his Dad Tom there to hold his paw those gnashers will be working overtime, I fear. Thank God for the muzzle.

But we must get him sorted out, poor boy. I will leave the other dogs at home so at least Moss doesn't have to worry about arguing with them on the journey. (They will be well put out - they never get left behind and Moss taken out alone by me!)

Thanks for your advice and good wishes

Katy

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the vet was great. He gave Moss a really detailed examination, having cleaned him up “under the foreskin” so to speak, first. He took a urine sample with a catheter – the one we had taken contained blood but the catheterised one didn’t, so that ruled out internal bleeding. Ran through a whole list of things that it might be, and rejected each of them as symptoms didn’t quite fit. In the end he decided that his first feeling was probably the correct one, and that the swelling was caused by trauma, and was bleeding as a result. So Moss had an injection of antibiotic, and also painkiller, and is on antibiotics for a week. If the bleeding hasn’t stopped by tomorrow they will take blood tests to investigate further.

Moss was SO GOOD - I couldn’t believe it. He lay in my arms and didn’t growl once, now even when the catheter was inserted. It does make you wonder if he would be happier being an only dog – he was a positive sweetie tonight, despite being in discomfort. Hopefully he will be fully recovered very soon (and remember that I took him to make him better, and not growl and snap at me so much!!!)

Thanks for your good wishes

Katy

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
bless him. fingerscrossed the abs work for him.

Collies are funny dogs, my boy would love to be on his own I think. He hates all the fuss that seems to surround him. (though he is trying his best to be "grandad" to the pups.... :wink: in his own little way)

Heidi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts