Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our Harley two weeks ago and he's now 14/15 weeks old (his breeder said he was born on the 5th of October) and he's had an upset tummy for a week or so now. His poos fluctuate between being runny and a little bit of blood to being almost diarrhoea like and more blood than seems normal, almost jelly like. The vet said as long as he isn't lethargic and he's still acting himself it's not to be worried about and is normal which he is still fully himself I'm just worried we are either feeding him the wrong things or giving him too much and not portioning it correctly. We are giving him a mix of his puppy food (BETA puppy), plain rice and plain cooked chicken. The past couple of days we have given him a bit more biscuits than rice and chicken.

Is it worth going to the vets or is there something we can do to settle his stomach? Any advice at all will be really helpful thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Advice

Blood, mucus in the poo is a trip to the vet, colitis type problems sometimes new puppies get upset tums, I would stop the puppy food for a few days and just feed boiled chicken and rice, small portions 4 times a day, to try and settle the tummy, (no treats) It might be wise to explore other puppy food I am not a fan of BETA, look at foods that have no known allergens, like James Well Beloved, Burns or Wainwrights, dogs especially Labs no diary, wheat etc do some research Skinners or Royal Canin are other types and then slowly introduce a new food, or if your pup was thriving on Beta then slowly reintroduce, sometimes its worth trying a non rice and try potato ie salmon and potato as some dogs don't like chicken and rice. Please speak to the Vet as runny poos in a puppy can quickly get dehydrated
Burns do an advice line for help with diet and amount, they are excellent

·
Registered
120 Posts
It could be the rice itself complicating things. Rice can ferment, in your fridge and in your pup's gut. Rice sure did NOT work for my dog. Maybe try some sweet potato instead. And in case it's the chicken (food most likely for dogs to be allergic to, according to some readings) switch it as well. Dogs that are allergic to chicken may still be able to eat turkey. Or duck.

Home Care for Diarrhea in Healthy Dogs

If your pet is an adult, otherwise healthy, and behaving normally except for the diarrhea, I recommend you withhold food – NOT WATER – for 12 hours.

At the 12-hour mark, offer a bland, fat-free diet. I recommend cooked ground turkey and plain 100 percent pumpkin.

Cook the ground turkey to remove grease and extra fat. And make sure the pumpkin isn’t pie filling, just plain canned or fresh cooked. If you can’t find plain canned pumpkin, substitute cooked sweet potato or even instant mashed potatoes.

This is a different bland diet from the traditional ground beef and rice combination that is often recommended. Even the leanest ground beef contains a lot of fat, and fat can worsen a case of diarrhea.

Rice, even though it’s bland, is very fermentable. Fermenting rice in the colon of a pet with diarrhea tends to increase gassiness. Also, rice tends to just zip right through the GI tract, exiting with the next bout of explosive diarrhea totally undigested.

Because of its large surface area (when compared to kernels of rice), many pets do much better with pureed pumpkin or sweet potato. Even through a bout of diarrhea, it is readily absorbed.

Mix the cooked ground turkey and pumpkin or sweet potato 50-50 in your dog’s bowl. Feed 2 to 3 small meals a day until stools are back to 100 percent, which should happen in about 72 hours.

My favorite all-natural anti-diarrhea remedy is an herb called slippery elm bark. I recommend always having some on hand so when you need it, it’s right there. You don’t have to run to the store.

Slippery elm is safe for puppies, adults, and geriatric dogs and it is completely safe blended with other medications. I recommend about a half teaspoon for each 10 pounds of body weight, mixed into the bland diet twice daily.

I also recommend you add in a good quality pet probiotic once the stool starts to firm.

Feeding a bland diet and supplementing with slippery elm bark is a good plan for about 3 days, at which time your dog’s stool should be back to normal.

If after 3 days the diarrhea hasn’t cleared up, it’s time to check in with your veterinarian.
FRom: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/03/26/dealing-with-dog-diarrhea.aspx

Bold is mine. I think you are well past the 3 days though. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dorwest Herbs sell Tree Bark Powder (slippery Elm), but as this is a puppy not an adult dog, I would check before using with them first,
Also pumpkin is not readily available so sweet potato, you could try porridge oats made with water, white fish boiled no bones, or ordinary potato mashed, if your concerned about rice and chicken
Turkey have been advised by my vet as my Loki gets colitis is a bit fatty, duck is also fatty and expensive, so the best is chicken or white fish with a poorly puppy

·
Registered
755 Posts
I went through all of what Harley has with a younger Gemma, and my vet wasn't that interested either. Could argue that didn't make him a great vet, but whether it was luck or judgement, he was kinda right because it turned out to be her food all along.

I continued to use a chicken and rice kibble that came from the breeder. My mistake was being way too slow to try a food change. Sometimes it looked like things were improving by themselves, but we just went round and round in circles really. I never knew what good poops looked like until we changed foods.

I moved her onto fish4dogs (grain-free) and the difference was night and day. Even the standard advice of phasing in a food change slowly worked against us, because literally the more of the new and less of the old that went into the bowl, the better things got.

I had no reason to believe it was rice or grains causing us the trouble at the time. Moving to fish4dogs was just a lucky strike as I shopped for a food that had no common primary ingredients to the one that was not suiting. But looking back now it would make a lot of sense that rice and grains were the problem, or gluten in general. Last year I switched to Millies Wolfheart, also grain-free, and the transition was seamless.

It would be wrong for any of us to say no, definitely don't go to the vets, because parasitic infections like Giardia are important to rule out. But Giardia can be troublesome to diagnose. The vet will require a stool sample, but not every stool will contain evidence of Giardia, so diagnosis can be inconclusive and really drag on. Colitis is another consideration for the vet, but I tend to think of that more of a symptom than a cause, as it's a catch all term for irritation or inflammation of the bowls - and it could be the food doing that in the first place!

And you have to wonder about the quality of Purina Beta Puppy when it's first (thus largest) ingredient is Cereals (so that's rice, grains and gluten, potentially).

So it's a 50/50 call really whether to try a food change, or ask the vet to look into things. None of us can make that choice for you, but personally I wouldn't be scared to try a food change first because it's quick and easy and has almost nothing to lose. The two brands I mention both offer small trial size bags so no need to worry about being stuck with a tonne of the stuff. And if we add on the potential of Purina beta being arguably, a poor quality food, that would lean me further to that suggestion.

There is an interesting discussion here about gluten in dog food. Even for dogs that don't have a gluten intolerance, this really makes you wonder why we’d ever want to feed it to them anyway.
http://dogtorj.com/what-is-food-intolerance/gluten-intolerance/

I’ve crossed referenced much of what that article says and it all stands up – it’s not just some new-age hippy gumph.

Personally, I don't bother with bland diets any more if something has upset her tummy, I just add some Protexin (fibre and pro-bacteria) granules to her meals to give her gut a helping hand for a couple of days and normally we sail through any problems in 2-3 days. Prokolin and the tree bark powder mentioned above can similarly help.

My own take is that a good quality easily digestible food is exactly that. I do wonder if the idea of temporarily replacing meals with something bland is more about a) pandering to our needs to want to do something to help, instead of just sit back and ride it out, b) making you feel like you got some kind of useful advice from the vet for the consultation fee rather than sending you home empty handed or c) it helps because their regular diet wasn’t that great in the first place? But that's just me and my pessimistic ways!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I would also echo taking pup to the vet to be tested for Giardia. My girl had it as a young pup. Mucusy, bloody poos and slow to put on weight initially. Pups can have poo problems however it's the smell when they have giardia that gives it away. It is truly offensive and not a normal poo smell, if you have ever been unfortunate enough to know the smell when someone has cdiff, it's exactly the same!

I had to hand in 3 days of samples and was given some medication, it cleared it up easily which is great as it can be tricky to get rid of. :)

I have kept a tube of prokolin incase any other tummy problems but have never had to use it. I also bought some of the pro-fibre granules as recommended however my vet said they are more for dogs with anal gland problems so I have them away.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I also bought some of the pro-fibre granules as recommended however my vet said they are more for dogs with anal gland problems so I have them away.
Useful for dogs with anal gland problems, absolutely. The only reason to use them, no that's crazy tunes.

"Digestive disturbances can make your dog feel very uncomfortable and the consequences can be unpleasant and upsetting for you. Pro-Fibre works effectively to help form stools with a more normal consistency. The addition of fibre to the diet is also useful for the management of dogs prone to anal gland issues."

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Useful for dogs with anal gland problems, absolutely. The only reason to use them, no that's crazy tunes.

"Digestive disturbances can make your dog feel very uncomfortable and the consequences can be unpleasant and upsetting for you. Pro-Fibre works effectively to help form stools with a more normal consistency. The addition of fibre to the diet is also useful for the management of dogs prone to anal gland issues."
I already had the tube of prokolin when I bought the granules, there was no point in me keeping them too as the tub was massive so gave them to a rescue.

He didn't say they were 'only' for dogs with anal gland problems but they were used more commonly for that :)

Reactions: John_n_Gemma

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ah ok, sorry if I misunderstood! Just didn't want any other readers to ignore a pretty useful product on that basis. If you look at the active ingredients (and given they are both from the same manufacturer) as far as I can tell pro-kolin and pro-fibre are incredibly similar, except one is wet, one is dry, and the granules have added fibre to give an extra boost to firming things up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ah ok, sorry if I misunderstood! Just didn't want any other readers to ignore a pretty useful product on that basis. If you look at the active ingredients (and given they are both from the same manufacturer) as far as I can tell pro-kolin and pro-fibre are incredibly similar, except one is wet, one is dry, and the granules have added fibre to give an extra boost to firming things up.
Absolutely :) If Cola was prone to anal gland problems then I would have kept them however there was no point me keeping them as already had the tube. I had bought a big tub and already had them sitting around for a few weeks so decided to give them to somewhere that could use them :)

I did notice they were more or less identical apart from the fibre :)

Reactions: John_n_Gemma
1 - 10 of 10 Posts