Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old balck lab gave birth to 5 pups last Thursday, all well and growing at a rate of knots! However, mum seems to be having continuous periods, ie spotting of blood on bed covers, and the odd drip when she gets up for a drink/walk. She seems in good spirits, albeit a little tired. Is the spotting normal? As I say, its been 4 days since the birth. I don't want to take her to the vet if this is normal, let me know thanks.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
It is normal to have all manner of yucky discharge after the pups are born - I would say providing there is nothing too excessive and no signs of infection, she is OK - BUT - I am not a vet nor an expert, IF you have any concerns, you should contact your vet.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
They can discharge heavily up to the pups are gone even. Its the womb chucking out all the gunk that it doesn't want any more. The onyl time to worry is if the discharge is brown or black and smells bad.... wipe a bit onto a tissue and sniff it if it does. If it smells fishy or unpleasant then call the vet. Chances are it won't. My last litter of 11 my bitch was losing spots even after 8 or 9 weeks now and then. Most bitches don't just spot after the litter is born for a couple of weeks, they usually lose great globs of gunk, especially when they have a big old pant, and especially when they are laid down feeding.

Don't worry!
Di

·
Registered
233 Posts
Asha is still losing the odd blob of disharge and her pups are nearly 12 weeks old. I had the vet check her over 2 weeks ago and he said it was all normal and that this could go on for longer due to the huge litter she had :D Not great when you have cream carpets but the pups have ruined that anyway :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts