Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper had blood in his stools this morning - and it looked to me like a lot of it. He had diarrhea last night, but it was dark and I didn't really check it. We were coming back from training class and it sometimes has that effect on him (excitement, lots of treats, etc). This morning he woke us up at 6am needing the toilet, but again I didn't check his stool and gave him his breakfast as usual. Around 7am I took him for our morning walk around the block and he did a little squirt that was very liquid with a lot of blood in it. By a lot I mean you could clearly see red liquid. We were gone for about 10min and on our way back he squatted again and only liquid came out.

Last week he was also sick on Tuesday, and refused his breakfast (first time ever). I'm wondering if the excitement and treats he his getting in class are putting a strain on his digestion. In our previous puppy classes, there was always a lot of down time and so I would bring Cooper's dinner and hand feed him while we were waiting for our turn, but in this class we are always doing something as it's a bigger venue and there are two trainers to look after everybody. So I'm thinking that I might be feeding him far too much in a situation where he is overly excited and exercising loads. It just seems too much of a coincidence that he's been ill two weeks in a row on the exact same day.

I'm going to stay with him this morning and see how he goes. He is curled up in his bed right now looking a bit sorry for himself. I will also call the vet when they open in about 1/2 hour to see if they can see him.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry Cooper is not well, i think you are doing the right thing calling the vets, i've no advise there are others better qualified than me.

Just want to say i hope it is nothing to worry about and Cooper gets better very quickly.

Gary, Toby and Poppy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Django is very prone to upset tums and runny, bloody diarrhoea. In his case I think it is caused by eating rubbish he finds on walks rather than excitement. When he was a puppy he was discovered to have a long-standing gut infestation of a rare parasite which caused endless diarrhoea but this is now long gone. But I wonder if this has predisposed him to a vulnerable gut. Anyway, what I mean to get at is that blood in diarrhoea, though not to be ignored, is not that unusual or terrible.

I always take Django to the vet. They always check just how ill he is and either recommend a quiet day or two with bland rations or they give him pro-kolin and an antibiotic if they think he has bacterial food poisoning. So far this treatment has always sorted him out swiftly.

Good for you staying with Cooper, I hope he is well soon.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm not overly worried because he has had it before when he was little. Also he is responsive and seems himself other than just very tired and wanting to curl up quietly. We have an appointment at 9.40 and will let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just got back from the vet and Cooper is on antibiotics, sensitivity food and canigest paste. They said never to ignore blood in stools or vomit and it's always better to take them in as once there's blood they will need help to get better. She doesn't think it will be a bug or anything nasty as he is up to date with vaccines and worming.

Cooper is doing better at the vets and the lady we saw today was good at giving him time to walk around and then approaching in a calm assertive manner. I didn't know that but he has a note in his file saying that he is nervous at the vets. All in all he did well and the vet could examine him while I held him and he was fairly calm by the time we left. That said when we left there were two ladies with 3 terriers, all of them were barking at Cooper like mad. So I had him on a really tight lead and squeezed him between my legs and the counter as I paid and one of them came over and nipped him on the nose!! I was FUMING! Seriously, a big dog does that and gets labelled dangerous, but all I got was 'sorry' from the owner. I was so angry I couldn't even speak and also because no 'real' harm was done (Cooper just looked a bit surprised), I didn't want to react aggressively and make Cooper even more nervous.
Anyway - rant over. Tea for me, nap for Cooper.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't want to frighten you, but if Cooper deteriorates take him back right away.Lilly was fully upto date on vaccines and worming etc but she still got Parvo. My experience has taught me that even vaccines don't work 100% and never to take chances! Lilly didn't have blood in her diarrhoea either.

As I said I don't want to frighten you just wanted to make you aware that just because a dog is vaccinated doesn't mean he/she is immune and that it's better to be safe than sorry!

I hope Cooper is back on top form soon.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hope Cooper is soon better Annick. Star has a tummy that is easily upset but I don't worry too much as it always seems to get better quickly. Just keep your eyes open for any other symptoms, such as being droopy, etc. and if in doubt always take him to see the vet, which of course you have!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lillly wasn't eating or drinking, she was vomiting sometimes and had diarrhoea 6 hourly she was slightly more cuddly then normal. When we took her to the emergency vets on the sat evening ( she took ill on sat morning) she had no temperature, wasn't dehydrated and it presented to the vet just like a bug, the vet there said she had seen 10 cases that day with similar symptoms. By Monday morning there was no improvement and Lilly was getting worse dispite the lectade, anti sickness jab and pro Kolin. Just keep an eye and get Cooper to the vet if your worried.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cooper has had about 1/2 can of sensitivity food yesterday, 3 doses of canigest and his antibiotics twice a day.
This morning he's had about 1/4 can of sensitivity food and after wagging his tail like normal when I grabbed his collar, he refused to go for a walk and just parked his bum down after a few steps down the road. He was looking really miserable so I brought him back home.

I waited about 45min and then took him out to the park behind our house (no lead) and he pottered around, ran a bit, chewed some grass... but no poo. Came back home and gave him a couple of tablespoons of food.

I left him with his sitter and she texted to say he was his normal self and gave him another 3-4 tablespoon of food for his lunch, but still no poo.

What worries me now is that he hasn't pooed since 4pm yesterday. I presume he's probably a bit 'empty' since he hasn't had much to eat and a lot came out yesterday. Also the canigest and sensitivity will be working their way through his system firming things up. His tummy was gurgling all night, so sounded like there was 'movement' in there.

At what point do I start to worry that he's now constipated?!

(Sorry if you're eating!)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Not that I'm a vet, so <disclaimer> obviously call your vet if you're concerned, but I always take it as a good sign if they don't poo for longer than usual, after having an upset tummy. Unless you have reason to believe there's a blockage of course. Hope he's feeling all better soon :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not overly worried yet, because he is his normal self - other than the odd behaviour this morning but we had a rough night, with his tummy gurgling and we were both tossing and turning all night, so he was probably a bit tired.

I felt his tummy and it's quite soft and doesn't seem to have any discomfort when I press it, so perhaps it's me who just needs to relax a bit! It's probably good that he is with his sitter today so that my stress and anxiety don't affect his behaviour and he can also relax!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lilly took a couple of days to get back to her usual poo routine, but as Angela said if you're worried have a chat with the vet on the phone.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
You just made me look out Tucker's poorly tum thread from about 2 years ago... http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopic-95958-days0-orderasc-0.html
it took him 3 days-ish to poop a very multi-coloured little poop. So don't fret much. He can only poop out the waste bits of the food you put in so it could take a couple of days for him to feel the urge to 'go'.

Hope he makes as full a recovery as Tucks did x

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
When Judy was a pup she was forever having an upset tum and I got suckered in on the science plan food -- missus didnt let me forget that!

Good old fashioned bland chicken and rice for two days should see an improvement and that's what we did about 3 months ago when Jude was really poorly. That last one really did worry me but anti-sickness jabs, antibiotics and C+R saw us through that.
The key thing is drinking plenty of water.

Get well soon Coops!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cooper is back to his normal self, perhaps still a bit tired, which I'm not going to complain about! He looks quite hungry and is walking nose on the ground on our walks looking for bits to snack on! He did a tiny poo last night, but that's it. He doesn't drink much though, any tips to encourage him?

I've become the crazy lady who talks to her dog as I can't give him treats, so I chat to him on our walks and he keeps looking up as if to say 'Stop talking rubbish, where's my treat?!?' He is walking surprisingly nicely without the treats, so perhaps a signal that I can slow down on treats even when he's back to normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts