Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently changed Nettle from Purina puppy to burns puppy over a 7 day period. She seemed fine. But over the last couple of days she has had a little blood at the end of her poo. Every poo. she has 3 meals a day and 3 poos. It is not runny and she is not poorly, eating, playing etc.. should I put her on rice and chicken and slowly re-introduce the burns. I dont think she needs the vet as she seems fine. She does seem to strain a lot at the end of going. Iseem to remember Jasper being a bit like this as a pup. Any advice welcome please.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Evening Bonjour,

I'm no expert but in the absence of one I will answer to bump up the thread and hopefully one will post.

It's possible that Nettle has a little tear or pile in her bottom. It could be as simple as that if its fresh red blood. I've noticed this type of blood in stools of my own dogs. Without any symptoms of illness,change in behaviour or change in appetite I've not been worried. I've just kept an eye on their number two's for a couple of days and its gone away. If she has torn herself a little it will heal quickly, if it was really hurting her she would be whimpering when she released not just straining. Not to be too descriptive but you've probably done the same yourself from time to time and you've not changed your food. Well maybe you didn't make yourself a load of boiled eggs. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooo yes especially after 3 children:). I think you are most probably right. Will plod on with her for her few more days. She has just thrown up her breakfast, but she was charging around like a complete lunatic straight after eating it. unfortunately Jasper ate it up for her before I could get to it :/. Thank you for your advice x

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
There are two different types of blood to look out for in stools.

The bright red type is most common and generally every dog will experience this at some time, it usually clears up after 48hrs, however the dark, tar like blood is a sign of a more serious problem and you should seek advice from a vet.

I have added a link that explains much better than me.

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/BloodinStool.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts