Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I'm new here and this is a long story so please bear with me, I have a male one year old chocolate lab who is an adored member of our family ❤ I joined to ask for your help and advice, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation?

Last week the vet pulled a grass seed out of his mouth, down the side of one of his molars. Since that his eye was sore and inflamed, vet assumed allergies and gave antihistamines... Fast forward just over a week and lots of back and forward to the vet with his eye getting gradually worse, he has now lost sight in his eye potentially permanently :(

We're absolutely heart broken for him, especially being so young. He's spent the last few days at a vet hospital where he was treated for an abscess behind the eye which has detached his retina. They did CT scans to look for a foreign body, possibly more grass seed and found nothing. His swelling and inflammation has come down a lot after IV antibiotics and painkillers but his eye is now white/cloudy.

Two things, does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance his retina could reattach or his eye colour come back or is that a pipe dream?

He's coming home today, does anyone have a dog blind in one eye and have any advice? Do I need to make any modifications to help or reassure him?

Thank you in advance 🙏❤

Rosie x

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
JohnW is the go to guy about Labrador health, and particularly eyes as one topic he knows a lot about, but I do know of dogs that have been blind in one or both eyes, even lost an eye and cope perfectly well.

·
Administrator
21,594 Posts
Sorry but if the retina is completely detached it will not recover. Thats the bad news. As to the colour of the eye that may well recover. But the good news is that he will easily adapt to the loss of just one eye. We have a Cocker who beats on my shoot, lost an eye due to a tumour, and quite frankly now, a year later, you would never know. My only advice to you is to make sure that people approach him to make a fuss of him either from the front of the sighted side, not from the blind side. Apart from that he will make his own changes, such as turning his head more to see whats happening on his blind side. Dont worry, he will sort it all out for himself. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts