Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm hoping that somebody could help me get my head around this. We have been looking to buy a black lab puppy and have come across a private breeder selling her family pet chocolate lab's puppies. She has a litter of 7, of which six are black and only one is chocolate. The breeder claims that the stud she used was also a chocolate lab. I understand that two chocolate labradors cannot throw black puppies so am a little confused. Is it possible that one of the parents isn't a full lab? Any info or possible explanations for this would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Might be anomaly, but it's a long shot.

What rings more of an alarm bell is the 'family pet chocolate lab's puppies' - quite often people allowing their family pets don't do any health testing, so that would be an initial concern, other than not knowing whether the stud dog is the one they said was used.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I would guess that either the breeder was not telling the truth about the stud dog, or another dog also caught the bitch, with or without the breeder's knowledge. Was the breeder present at the mating? If not then maybe the stud dog owner, if they had more than one male, not being able to get a mating with one stud and not wanting to loose the stud fee used the other dog. Not 100% sure, but I believe sometime back that the KC were saying that they would nor register impossible coloured pups. Either way, I'd walk away because things are not what they should be.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Hi all,
I'm hoping that somebody could help me get my head around this. We have been looking to buy a black lab puppy and have come across a private breeder selling her family pet chocolate lab's puppies. She has a litter of 7, of which six are black and only one is chocolate. The breeder claims that the stud she used was also a chocolate lab. I understand that two chocolate labradors cannot throw black puppies so am a little confused. Is it possible that one of the parents isn't a full lab? Any info or possible explanations for this would be appreciated!
The breeder is either being deceitful or has been deceived them self. Either way, walk away from the litter. A chocolate to chocolate mating can only produce a litter of chocolate pups, or chocolate and yellow with no black pigment if both parents carry yellow.

Reactions: Maddie and JohnW
1 - 5 of 5 Posts