Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a silly question but...

Ted , my second black Lab, is now 15weeks old. His head is distinctly brown compared to the rest of his body!!

His body coat is turning wavy & more of a rough adult coat. Where as his head is still soft puppy fur.

I don't remember Max having a different head colour

So the question is do you think his head will go black eventually? (His dad was yellow)

Ps I love him anyway so it doesn't matter to me!! X

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Is it the pup in your avatar? He looks all black to me :?

Black dogs can have a reddish tinged undercoat, that can make them look *brownish* in colour, particularly when they are moulting. It can look like brown tufts coming out.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I use photobucket, and copy the image codes across. You'll have to post a photo, it'd be incredibly unusual to get a mismark like that, not impossible, but definitely unusual. One of his parents being yellow shouldn't affect the black coat at all, the genes for colours are separate, they don't mix to create different shades, but there are a few rogue genes that sometimes crop up giving different markings. Zasa is from a litter with all three colours, Tau had all three colours in there, but all definite solid colours :wink:

?

·
0 Posts
It's just his fluffy undercoat showing through. Blacks have either a brownish or greyish undercoat and until their adult coat comes through fully, it tends to show on their head and ears.

Love his little squishy face btw. 8)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was going to say similar to Jules. Our Gemma was a jet black but when moulting she would have a positive brown tinge to her coat. I just gave her some jolly good brushes and you'd see all the fluffy undercoat falling out by the handful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts