Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone assist with this skin problem I'm identifying with my black lab pup, 8wks 6days old, weighs 3.4kg is one of 8 pups. On three meals dry organic food per day mixed with raw chicken or turkey meat. Plus cottage cheese occasionally.

Vet has checked his heart, temp, lungs and cannot suggest anything, so has put him on Synalox anti biotics 50mg twice per day for 1wk.

He has been weaned and wormed with panacur as per instructions! However! he is the smallest of all pups with irritating itchy abdomen issue?

Be grateful for any advice in mean time, vets again next Thursday!

Regards
FingaTipZ

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
He is very tiny isnt he, but they do come in all sizes. My pup is now over 11 weeks, but at 8 weeks and 1 day he was 8.35kgs and not by any means the biggest of the litter.

Ours are still on four meals a day until 12 weeks, may be that would help. How many grammes does he have?

Have you any photos of him? We do love pups on here!

Jayne

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Two of mine have got a slight rash at the moment, they get it when it's mucky weather I'm afraid, and as pups they can get puppy acne.

Another one who'd have him on four meals per day, up till 16 weeks of age, or there abouts. Then down to three, and down to two at six months of age :)

?

·
0 Posts
The only pup I've had with a rash like that turned out to have an intolerance to the fabric softener I was using to wash her bedding in. Check what you're using, not only to wash the bedding in, but for any surfaces his belly comes into contact with, and steer away from anything which is highly fragranced, as these seem to cause most reactions.

I'm another who'd be feeding 4 meals until 12-16 weeks old and that's for an average sized pup. For a tiddler like this boy, I'd probably feed 5 meals a day until he reached about 5-6kg, then down to 4, because they get more nutrition out of their food if you don't overload their tiny tums.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would say the same as everybody else, get him on 4 meals a day until he's about 12-14 weeks. Other than that, like Jules says, he could be allergic to something you are using. Fabric softener, washing powder, air freshener or like Henry, the other week, flash floor cleaner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts