Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few people have commented on my 5 month old black Labrador puppies nose being too long to be a Labrador and his legs also being quiet long. I just thought he was going through a gangly growth spurt but as a few people have said it I would like other peoples opinions. It doesn’t change how much we love him but would be nice to know.

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
Dont worry, there are always some "Expert" around. ;) I'd be interested to know his sire and dam, but my betting is that he has quite a bit of working blood in him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont worry, there are always some "Expert" around. ;) I'd be interested to know his sire and dam, but my betting is that he has quite a bit of working blood in him.
Some people are just so upfront! We went to view him as a pup with his mum who is a golden lab but we didn’t see his dad the seller said he was a black lab but we didn’t get any papers with him. Some people have said he looks like a lurcher but I think his ears are too flopped forwards

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
This is not addressing your interesting question but please beware of it slipping/falling from there ;)

Your pup looks so adorable I personally couldn't care less if one of his parents was a gorilla (joking of course) !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few people have commented on my 5 month old black Labrador puppies nose being too long to be a Labrador and his legs also being quiet long. I just thought he was going through a gangly growth spurt but as a few people have said it I would like other peoples opinions. It doesn’t change how much we love him but would be nice to know. View attachment 26525 View attachment 26526
Hi
He looks like a lab to me. A bit slim but very similar look to mine. And I know mine is a black lab from both black parents who are American type labs, more sender and fit looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
He looks like a lab to me. A bit slim but very similar look to mine. And I know mine is a black lab from both black parents who are American type labs, more sender and fit looking.
Hi
We are having a lot of issues finding a food that agrees with him, he’s either been sick or had not pleasant poo’s. he was on pedigree to start and then we put him on wainwright and most recently James well beloved. We have had to give him chicken, vegetables and rice every time to calm his stomach back down which is why he isn’t as chunky☹ Hopefully we will find the right food for him soon!

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Unfortunately the only way to know for certain is to know who the parents are, and if he's not KC registered then you won't really have any way of tracing the sire, or knowing the pedigree of his mum. The American and English terminology is a bit confusing and misleading. If you look at the AKC Labradors in the show ring, they are far heavier, but the American term refers to working type; where as if you look at the show Labradors in the UK they are much more moderate, and (some of) the working type even more so. As far as the working type in the UK goes, I've seen them look almost like a collie cross, to a pointer cross, to proper old fashioned Labradors and everything in between. It is also entirely possible even though the breeder states he used a black Labrador, for the dam to have been caught by another dog, and have a dual sired litter, not common but a possibility.

Pedigree is an awful food, is that what the breeder weaned them onto? JWB is ok but expensive for what it is, also manufactured by a subsidiary of Mars who make pedigree. If you have a look on a website called 'all about dog food' that will give you an idea of the quality and price of many of the dog foods available in the UK. However, if he has an underlying condition, such as giardia, this will need treating first, otherwise he will have a poorly tum and runny stools no matter what food you use.

No amount of food will change his shape either I'm afraid, he will take after his parents, grandparents etc, my current 18 month old is pretty gangly at the minute, but her Grandma was slow to mature so she should fill out as an adult, but then I know her lines pretty well as I bred her. Having a slow to mature pup is no bad thing, I dislike seeing hugely chunky pups, and particularly pups carrying a lot of weight. Your pup may well fill out as an adult but enjoy the puppy stage as they soon grow up.

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
Thing you have to remember is that working Labradors are selected on their working ability with little or no thought given to appearance, where show dogs are selected for appearance with little of no thoughts given to ability. Sadly pet dogs are often bred with no thought given!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts