Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several of the extreme black kongs for the boys but they all seem to be splitting between the rings (they the cone type ones with 3 rings). they use them every day and i freeze the kongs but am fed up of them splitting.... anyone else had problems?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Not with black ones, but I bought a new red one recently and the same happened with it. It didn't seem quite the same as my other kongs - seemed bit more shiney as though the kong rubber was different? It split after only a few uses. Whereas my original ones are still going strong.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my original ones were fine as coal tends to lick and suck the stuff out. Finn chomps, bashes and chews his out!

i brought the black ones as i thought they'd be better :(

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Do you wash them a lot Sam?

We have about 10 of them and not one is perished... but I think thats because I only wash them maybe once a week.

The baby Kong that I got for Huds I actually threw out last night because it was begining to split. I have one red one too which is definetly taking a pounding.

Its the round edge at the top that I'm finding is shredding with Pasco nibbling at them, where as Huds sucks and then chomps as well as chucks and rolls the stuff out.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
ok... didn't fully explain.... the washing... if they are slightly damp when you put them in the freezer, then the water that is in any of the tooth holes will expand and facilitate splitting.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I'm wondering if Kong have changed the way they make them. We've had the red ones for years no problem but my 2 new dentastix ones are really flimsy - even nellie can chew them up :roll:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Oooo interesting

Bailey has just 1 red kong, and I have been thinking about getting her a new one....maybe a black

We have had the red one for 2 years and it is still going strong :D

It has been frozen, washed, outside in all weathers :D

I am hoping that they haven't changed the way they are made cos this one is TOUGH!!!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they do get washed but are normally dry when they are stuffed and frozen.
I'm used to the bit round the opening degrading a bit over time but these ones seem to be spliting along the joins.... and once it starts, i think it does what you mentioned fee, gets wet in there and then expands the holes when frozen.
i'm just a little annoyed as they are supposed to be extra tough and they are expensive! :roll:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I think the reason ours haven't split so easily is that I only ever freeze 2 of the 10 at a time. So its not like they are being frozen over and over.

How long have you had out of them before the splitting???

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the last one... a few months!!! I have six, so they get frozen in a batch and used over 3 days (1 each per day) so only frozen once every 3 days if that... some days they don't have one

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Bit worried when I read this as about to order Luna one or two or three. Not sure where hers disappeared too and the puppy one died a while back so have been using bones for months now!!

Shall I buy one and see how it goes or buy a few? Shall I go extreme or just get the normal red? Where sells them the cheapest?

SO many questions!!!!! 8O

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've just ordered an XL red kong on ebay......I checked the prices in the pet shop today, and found ebay to be cheaper even when including the postage.....there are LOADS of sellers on ebay selling them though at different prices so you would need to have a nosey through :D

We stuck with red as the one we have is still going strong :D

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I'll trawl through online sites tomorrow! Thanks Em n Bailey!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i get my kongs from vets uk as its free delivery :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts