Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really thought about it until I met a chap the other day who had a lovely yellow working lad with him. He was saying you can tell his lines by the two whirls he had (one in each side by his armpits) and by his black skin. Obviously he could have been telling me a load of old codswallop but the Black Skin thing did get me curious.

The only pale coated dogs I've had have had pink or browny pink skin....but Pickle's is grey and the same as this chaps dog (although he called it black). All of Pickle's pigmentation is dark, apart from her nose which is fading a bit and apart from some tiny pink splodges on her tum and they are closing in now.... and when she gets wet, she looks grubby, because you can see the grey skin underneath (not that a grubby looking pup bothers me :wink: ). It reminds me of a little Welsh Pony I had...she had white fur and black skin.

So is it uncommon to have a dark skinned yellow dog?

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Not really sure but I do know that Alfie is very dark underneath (I thought it was dirt and tried cleaning it off once :oops: :oops: ) whereas none of my other yellows are dark underneath, they are all pinky. Alfie and Watson share quite similar breeding and at the moment Watson is all pink underneath.

Vicki

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Jules, i need to get a pic of my sisters lab Mia..her tummy is just about black an she is almost white in colour....lol. We thought at first she was needing a bath but as she got older it got darker and you can see her dark skin under the very pale caot.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I posted before on a thread about the various shades of chocolate. Indie has grey skin, except on her tum where she's always been pink; Tau has pale pink skin all over; I don't know if any of the other chocolates have different skin pigments? Mine have different colour undercoats too, Indie's is ginger, Tau's is almost blonde.

Might mean bu$$a all but it's interesting :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I wondered this too and I spotted Pickles skin as we have a very pale yellow at class with black skin....much much darker than pickles.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is interesting and as I said, not something I've really thought about before. Perhaps it isn't as uncommon as this guy made out then.

Pickle's skin is getting darker, I'm sure, although how much of that is due to her sunbathing in the garden, I don't know. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Perhaps it isn't as uncommon as this guy made out then.
It's probably just genetic, like the white flashes, hence him thinking it's his lines only. Someone once told me all the white flashes stem from the sandringham labs, though i'm sure that's not the case.

trust you to get a rare yellow lab that isn't going to show dirt up easily - very lucky :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Can we see some pics of all these dark bellis please? it would be interesting to see the variation :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sophie has black armpits too. :)

It's funny because Rosie, who was black, appeared to have white skin, yet Sophie (yellow) has black skin...

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Basil said:
Can we see some pics of all these dark bellis please? it would be interesting to see the variation :)
I'll have a word with Alfie when I get home and see if he minds me putting pics of his nether regions on the internet :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
:lol: @ Vicki.

Jill, I think Spice is about the same colour as when I last saw Pickle. Is she much darker from her sunbathing now Jules?!
The dog at class is really black, I noticed it from some distance. Don't suppose I can get a pic easily to share though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ruby is darked skin and she too looks really grubby when shes wet!!

·
Administrator
20,981 Posts
Just nice pigmentation. In yellows it tends to be better in yellows mated to black. My yellow Beth, (Chocolate mated to yellow) had very poor pigmentation, pink all over including her nose) but both yellows Anna and Amy, (both yellow bitches to black dogs) have the great pigmentation I love.

Regards, John

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Bless Spice, showing her Wares 8O :lol: :lol: .

Well it looks like Pickle is in the Black Tummy Gang. :D

Sarah, I "think" it's darker now. I've been trying to compare it to earlier photos but it shows up different in every photo :roll: :lol: .

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Chief my youngest GR has very dark skin too. He has a very pale cream coat, but has lovely dark pigmentation on his nose/eyes.

I did try giving him a good scrub because of it in his early days :oops:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
John, why would the stomach colour be linked to good skin pigmentation?
(not saying it's linked to bad pigmentation of course as i don't think you get dudleys with black tums).
It's just there are so many yellows with great pigmentation and no black tums, similarly black and chocs have good eye and nose pigment but no black tums. :?

Found this thread from a GR forum - maybe Pickle is part polar bear? :lol:
It does mention links to health issues though, of course Pickle and Spice's dark tums look quite normal to me but the pup at training class tum really is jet black, like the dark tongue spots.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?s=08f8f9298722641dcc6725e9671e167b&t=30368&page=2

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
lulu is very dark on her skin but has a pink tummy! lol when i first ever washed her i thought she had some sort of oil on her skin and tried to wash it off too! hahahaha silly me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts