Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my girl friend saw a black and tan lab but she said it was pure lab not cross with rottie/domermam does any one know where i would be able to get a pure lab (black and tan) as i can`t find them anywhere plaese
:lol: :lol:

?

·
0 Posts
I think the black and tan markings occur naturally as one of the many mismarkings you can get on a Lab. I don't think anyone actually breeds for this colouration (nor should they, as it would be a seriously small gene pool) it is just one of those oddities which a normal litter throws out occasionally.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
As Jules has said, a "black & tan" labrador, if they exist, is a mismarked lab, and certainly not common.
You won't find purebred lab litters advertised as "black & tan", as this isn't one of the registered colours for labs - labradors come in black, yellow, and brown ("chocolate").

·
Registered
932 Posts
There was a man at crufts this year who had a litter of black adn tan labradors. I think there maybe a thread on here somewhere.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
From that thread, the man at Crufts refused to answer questions about the parentage of the parents and almost everyone who saw them said they looked like a lab x doberman.

I still formly believe that although MISMARKED labs occur, the dogs at Crufts did not look at all like mismarked labs as the mismarkings were identical on both dogs - they looked like simple crosses to me.

You can't breed for a mismarked dog, they are a "freak of nature" and occur randomly. Besides which, why would you want a black & tan lab? Labs don't come in black & tan. If you want a black & tan dog, then go and get a breed of dog which actually COMES in black & tan, there are enough out there!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree with you I saw the dogs at crufts and didn't think that they looked like labs but when I questioned him he said was I used to show labs or working labs as these were working. I still didn't think they looked anything like working labs either. He did say that they had been DNA tested and came back as pure labs.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Quarry said:
He did say that they had been DNA tested and came back as pure labs.
Well then he point blank lied to you!
You cannot DNA test for breed, only for parentage.
So all he could possibly have tested for was that Dog A was the sire, and Dog B was the dam.
That's *not* the same this as DNA testing to prove they are full blooded labradors, that's not (AFAIK) possible. (But I am, as always, willing to be proven wrong on that one)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Scubabe said:
If you want a black & tan dog, then go and get a breed of dog which actually COMES in black & tan, there are enough out there!
Indeed. Pop to your nearest rescue and you'll find tons of black and tan dogs looking for a home.

I once met a dog who looked like a black lab someone had taken a tan paintbrush to - he was owned by relatives of a friend. He was a private rehoming and they thought some rottie was involved. Lovely dog but not a full-lab, even though aside from some markings, he very much looked like one.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Ness,

Having read a lot about this in varying places with varying degrees of authencitity to the info, he DID Parentage DNA test. Having tested both parents first to record their DNA. And APPARENTLY they were indeed the offspring of two DNA tested fully pedigree fully KC registered Labrador Retrievers.

'Apparently'.

The mismarkings were very similar on both dogs, which to me was reasonably logical seen as they did obviously somehow both come from the same parents throwing the same mismarks presumably. OR he has the same 'stencil set' at home and used it with meticulous accuracy ;-) I'd have loved to have got up close ans spat on a tissue and rubbed ;-)

More seriously, he does indeed appear to have produced two or more pedigree labradors in the same litter with serious mismarks. He must be WELL pleased with himself. What a 'breeding' achievement.

;-)

Di (In poorly cynical mode today).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts