Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woe is me!

What an utterly pants festive holiday. I have already cancelled xmas 2009 in an attempt to avert any further disasters. In fact I am changing my name to Mrs Bah Humbug by deed poll in the New Year.

As I wrote elsewhere, like many people we were struck down with a virus over christmas and so christmas did not happen (hope everyone is feeling better now?). No lunch, no drinks, no tree etc etc. Also as you may know, the builders left our house in a dreadful state with half plumbed in bathrooms/kitchens, no heating and holes to the outside world.

Some kind friends took pity on us and said "we are off skiing on 27th to 9th of Jan, come and dog sit in our house". They have central heating, a kitchen that works and oh joy of joys a flatscreen TV. So we said "yes please".

Big mistake.

I now have seven dogs to look after. The new additions are their flatcoat who is on a 24hr/7 day a week lickathon, and a totally bonkers cocker who I have yet to see stationary.

I could list a whole catalogue of disasters from then onwards but I'll spare you most of them and just say I now have a hugely swollen bite infected thumb, which I had to go to A&e with (thanks Cocker - was over a slimey dead rat that he was trying to swallow whole and I was determined that he wasn't) . Wylye, on another occasion, clashed with the flatcoat over a stick and had his ear cut open. Blood everywhere. That necessiatated a vet visit yesterday. Last night, someone, don't know who, decided to dig up the kitchen lino in the friends house leaving a 1m2 hole - we now have new lino and fitter coming round on the 12th at our expense.

But really what I would like help with is with the Cocker. He's supposed to be trained to the whistle. He appears to be suffering from temporary amnesia? At the moment, you release the Whirlwind that is the cocker and it's like 'OK see yeh then in the next life'. Gone he is 100m, 500m a mile over that there horizon. No whistle, calling etc can bring him back. Of course he does eventually, 30/40mins later. Are we confined to on lead walks only? or is there a secret way of keeping him under control? Also, do they ever sit down?!!!!!!!

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. Hope you're all OK and have no disasters :)

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Blimey Helen, no advice sorry but that does sound a chaotic time for you 8O

Hope your house gets sorted soon x

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Oh! Helen!!! I do feel for you! What a catalogue of disasters!!!

Love the sound of the lively cocker!!! Got no advice to help reel him in though - but I can sympathise with the exocet missile mode - that is the one that Bramble adopts....I'm getting used to people stopping in mid step and staring open mouthed and then looking at me and saying "He can;t half go can;t he?"!! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately Bramble seems to have excellent hearing (I reallly must dig out my whistle :oops: and start the training I should have months ago :oops: :oops: ) and generally he is recall is instantaneous and excellent....

I suppose the only thing I can think of is call/whistle him - and then walk off in the opposite direction - rapidly, as that usually brings them running... or a long line really

But on the bright side - you've been warm and dry and well fed and watered with a flat screen TV - much better than the cold and holey walls in your place...

Hope Wylye's ear is better soon

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
My lord what an interesting Christmas you have had 8O I hope you start to feel better soon and the builders come off to finish your house for you to move back into :)

Maybe PM Andrew or Nicola about the cockers as they both have them :?

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Blimey H, you don't do things by halves do you?!!! 8O

Sorry - no advice on the cockermonster - maybe Andrew (monkeyboy) could help you? might be worth pm'ing him :)

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Sorry Helen but huge grin at the Cocker story. Have you considered leg shackles and one of those ball and chain thingies :wink: :D

Having looked after many people's "well behaved" dogs over the years it is always a myth. My only advise is lots of alcohol to see you through!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Wowzers! I'm out of breath just reading that post! So sorry you've had a rather 'challenging' Xmas, and soon to be New Year too! As Eve said, maybe best for your sanity to concentrate on the good things, like warm house, running hot water, big TV etc, and maybe all the bad things won't seem SO bad :? :wink:

Sorry, no advice with the hyper cocker....but i hope he calms down soon and gives you all some peace!!!

Happy New year and hope Wylye's ear and your thumb heals soon! x

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Sorry, no advice but let the Flatcoat lick you, it is their right and purpose in life !!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I am following your advice Jill (alcohol) and seem to be coping much better now :)

The cocker is still bonkers!!!! and the flatcoat, well I have given in on the licking front Jac lol - he was always going to win on that front! Eve, Bramble sounds like a bit of a star to me in comparison.

Hope everyone's new year is progressing better now.

Managed to take a few pictures of them all with the other half who is pretending to have them under control 8O :lol: . Just missing our oldie ebt in the photos otherwise that'd be a full house :)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
OMG , id be on the vodka never mind the wine,
as for Berts face I think thats sums it up nicely hed rather have the holey wall than a crazy cocker & a mad flat coat lol

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
All thats missing from Berts face is a drool trail!!!! :lol:

I'm so amused at your husbands attempt at getting them all to sit still!!!!! That comedy right there!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Great photos Helen! I must admit they did raise a smile, but very very impressive that you/OH managed to get them all to sit at the same time, together even for a few seconds!!!

Barney2007 said:
Eve, Bramble sounds like a bit of a star to me in comparison.
Don't you believe it!!! That recall can and does fail, usually at THE most inopportune moment - like when there are horses in the vicinity.....!

Eve Neo and Bramble

1 - 17 of 17 Posts