Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hugo is now one and has recently started biting his lead, trying to pull it from me and even jumping up to grap my arm.

He has pulled my wife over so she now refuses to walk him.

He usually only does it when he is at the park and as been off lead and then doesn't want to go back on it. I assume he wants to carry on playing.

Any suggestions please.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I think I would play bad cop/good cop as I just wouldn't/couldn't stand for mine doing that! So I'd say NO, stamp my foot and stop moving. I'd insist he left the lead alone, remove it from his mouth and the second he was behaving how I'd expect ie. not biting the lead and paying attention to me he would be given soooo much praise!! and fuss and treats and positive attention!! I might try giving him a toy to carry that I know he likes to carry. Excited dogs like having something in their mouth in my experience.

I would also randomly call him while off-lead, reward him for coming with treat and fuss then release him or put him on lead for a short spell (1 step or 2 steps.... ) or just insist he walk to heel with treats and praise for a short spell before letting him back off-lead.

It sounds like he sees the lead as the end of fun so try making his time on the lead and with you more rewarding than at present. Use a special high value treat (squeezy Primula cheese) just to reward him when he is 'with you' on lead, sing to him as you walk... stop to watch the world sometimes, stop to just give him a fuss and an 'I'm pleased to be walking with you' praise.

I liken walking my 2 with walking with a young child. They have to hold my hand and be in control when needed so it might as well be a fun time when we chat, look around us and enjoy being together.

Hope there is something in the waffle that can help!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep so been there , I feel for you.. The minute we turn the corner by the church towards our house Thor immediately goes straight for his lead. It took me a while to work out why he was doing it and he almost had me over a few times, by pure chance we found a tennis ball on our travels one day and I gave him that - Ta-da problem solved. Now I have a spare ball in my pocket and as we round the corner give him the ball to carry which makes him very proud and happy , tail in the air and off we trot with no more lead tugging !

He just loves to hold things for you, after he greets someone he then has to find something to hold such as a toy or my croc , and then say hello again, typical lab thing I think. But so sweet...

·
Registered
167 Posts
My sympathies are with you :)
Jess would do this at the start of the walk, when we stopped to chat with someone, crossing a road :roll: :evil:

We gave her the hard word NO and stood still. It worked for a while, but I must admit she has started again, so we are trying distraction with a ball or a toy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts