Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper is now over 6 months old and all his adult teeth are through I think.

Last night he got hold of my new hunter boot liners that had been drying on the radiator all day (and he had ignored until 10pm last night :roll: ) so of course I go over; do GIVE and LEAVE and he hands them over GOOD JASPER (praise) then as I move my hand away from the back of his head (placed there NOT holding) he bites my wrist 8O Unfortunately it was my bad wrist which means it bled quite a bit and caused me great pain. So of course I growled and told him he was a BAD DOG and a naughty puppy and he turns all silly which he does when he's told off but then as I'm telling him off his demeanor changes and he starts snapping at me 8O . Is this just teenage behaviour or something i should worry about?

I did what my trainer told me to do and he stopped snapping but I am concerned that this behaviour has become frequent - more so in the evenings - I cannot risk him doing this to my daughter but I would say this biting/snapping is a direct response to being told off for something.

Many thanks

Emma
XXXX

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Can't help I'm afraid, though Cadbury does sometimes mouth and can be a 'snatcher', but doesn't snap.

Only to add, from experience with Cadbury it can take some time for the adult teeth to settle in, though I don't suppose that would make him snap?

Hope it gets sorted.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
If you've got a method that stops him snapping at you then you need to be really consistent about it and make sure he doesn't get wound up and then told off for reacting - sort of trying to stop the situation rather than having to react to it afterwards if you see what I mean.

One thing that winds me up about my dogs is when I take them round to my parents they have a sniff, wander round, clean the kitchen carpet and usually get a treat (or ten) from their Nana, and then they are told to 'settle' which they understand means a down and switch off period. During this time my Dad will start whispering to them, what good girls they are for settling, but does it in such a way it then gets them wound up so they get up and get excited again. I refuse to tell them off in this situation because they're reacting to how he is treating them, if he ignored them and then they jumped up and got giddy they'd deserve telling no. And Tau is a bugga for wanting to 'hold' any bit of you 8O she can as a greeting, whilst wagging her whole back end with her ears flattened and smiley face in blissful raptures!!!

From what you have posted it sounds as if the way your are telling Jasper off almost elicits some of the unwanted behaviour, if you see what I mean, or is that just the way I've read it? Definitely stick to what works only and be firm IMO, before any behaviour has the chance to esculate.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
That reminds me, when Cadbury was smaller he would mouth and I would say 'ow' or 'no' like they tell you in the books, but this would make him stop and then nip harder, I think to elicit another response. So I changed tactics and would storm out of a room when he mouthed which worked much better.

My friend's lab was exactly the same. I actually often find that telling Cadbury off makes him worse because he is being naughty because he wants attention.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Not much help but I am afraid Jasper is going through the testing you phase, ie he is trying to find out how far he can push you :? very common but it will pass, just try to be firm and consistent, dont give him any attention when he is doing it but praise him when he is not :)

A bit like a teenager and hormones :roll: :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts