Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've had my yellow lab puppy for 3 weeks now and she just will not stop chewing and biting me. She's my first dog so I'm really all new to this. It would be ok but she is really quite nasty when she gets giddy and it really is starting to hurt. I have tried giving her the firm No but she just growls at me and I have tried offering her her toys and praising her when she plays with them, any suggestions? Or do I just have to put up with this haha. And will she grow out of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Katelyn,

Welcome to the site.

How old is your lab?

I've had my yellow lab puppy for 3 weeks now and she just will not stop chewing and biting me. She's my first dog so I'm really all new to this. It would be ok but she is really quite nasty when she gets giddy and it really is starting to hurt
This is not acceptable behaviour and it sounds like she thinks she is top dog! If she is a puppy, then all puppies chew and those little teeth are like razors. It's very important you get on top of this behaviour now, have you tried yelping when she bites you? We did this when our Lab was little, and it really worked for us. It stopped him from nipping almost immediately. Growling is a sign of aggresion yes, if she is growling at you i would tell her firmly 'no' and leave her. Leave the room if you have to, or even put her in another room for 5 minutes or so.

There are many things you can do to establish you are leader of the pack, including standing in her bed, standing over her whilst rolling her onto her back.

Or do I just have to put up with this haha. And will she grow out of it?
As long as you get on top of it now, then she should soon realise it is not acceptable to do these things. There is some useful advice on these links:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-474-biting.html

http://www.netpets.com/dogs/reference/training/tips7.html

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-160-biting.html

Hope things get a little better soon, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's 12 weeks old so yea shes just a puppy, I expected the chewing and play biting but not this kind of aggression. Will try the yelping technique straight away when she wakes up, my partner has put her in another room on a couple of ocassions when she has got really bad, I think we will probably try doing that more often then.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

·
Registered
498 Posts
We've had a few episodes like this with Brady, usually when he gets excited while playing and it always seems to happen in the living room. As soon as Brady shows aggression (growling/barking) we remove him to the kitchen (usually leave him on his own for a little while to cool off). He always calms down in there.

He started this almost straight after he arrived at seven weeks old. He's now 18 weeks old and it hardly ever happens at all now. Patience is the key it seems, because his behaviour and manners improve a little every day. :)

The biting is getting less as well, we're teaching him bite inhibition and it seems to be working. That could be because he's pretty toothless at the moment though! :lol:

Rona

1 - 4 of 4 Posts