Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says really, I've just had a bit of a fright on a walk out with Bailey

I decided to take her down to the island about 10 mins walk from our house, just me and Bailey

It's a lovely place to walk and very popular, and once we had reached the island I decided to walk the opposite way that we usually go, along the road that hgv vehicles use during the week

The road runs along side a sheltered path, so I decided the road was more open so I would walk along here then cut through and go across the open field

We met only a small group of youths with 2 dogs along the road

As we cut through to the open field, and I let Bailey off lead, a man appeared, seemingly from the bushes and had been walking in the same direction as me but on the sheltered path......I froze 8O

He was in a suit, on a weekend, in this heat (it is very sunny here) and I was VERY alone, just me and my dog

He just walked past me and carried on his way, poor guy was probably just enjoying the weather like me but I realised I had not breathed 8O

It had really shaken me, and I practically ran back to the bridge to get off the island

I felt very vunerable and have come home and ordered a personal alarm from ebay.......it made me realise that if something had have happened I had nothing to protect myself, all I had was my mobile phone

Just wondering how you LFers protect yourselves whilst out walking??

I do feel a little silly as this poor guy was just out for a walk like me, and has no idea or intention of scaring a woman and her dog.......I would like to think that Bailey would sense if someone was going to attack, she wasn't in the slighest bit bothered about this man

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Sounds as though you were really shook up :(

I have to admit that i wont walk in certain areas of the fields and woods arounf me alone as I feel vulnerable, silly thing is I would play there for hours when I was younger, and not worry :roll:

I think Sam would definately protect me as he is wary if, men especially, appear suddenly when on our walks, not sure about Max, he would probably lick them to death :roll:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I was mugged whilst out with Diesel last year. It really scared me. Diesel didn't do anything either. :(
I was scared for weeks to take him out on my own. I didn't even want to walk him to my local park.
I understand your worries. The police gave me a personal alarm after id given them my statement. I took it everywhere with me for the first few months then i realised i was letting Diesel down as i would make him wait till Mike got back from work before we went out.
I decided to take him out on my own one very sunny day to the park. Ever since then i just send mike a quick text to let him know im on my way out and i take my personal alarm although i've never had to use it.

I hope it doesn't put you off walking your favorite track.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I have to admit I dont really get scared but I am thinking of getting one of those sticks walkers use, at least if anything happened I could defend myself :?

Hope you are OK Em and dont let it spoil your day :(

How did the Bailey and Bonnie meeting go :?:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not going to stop me from taking her out, it's just given me a bit of a shock, I've never really felt vunerable in the day before though :(

I'm so sorry to hear that you were mugged diesel09, that must have been really scary. Well done on not letting it stop you taking diesel out though

I think I will feel safer going to places like the island with a personal alarm, I did think it would have been busier down there, with it being a saturday and the weather being lovely

_Linda_ said:
How did the Bailey and Bonnie meeting go :?:
Aw Linda, she has mastitis and is on antibiotics so they couldn't meet :(
I've got to ring again on weds but it's doubtful that she will even be coming home that day......poor Bonnie, I really didn't want her to get poorly :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts