Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our lab pup came to us on Beta puppy chicken and rice which we've stopped with so far.

When we first got her at 8 weeks her poos were a little soft - but I figured most pups poos are at that age. After 10 days or so of soft poos, they seemed to firm up. But in the last 3 days, they've gone soft again. She's not drinking anymore than usual - she does drink a lot but figured thats as shes on dried food.

I did get her a smokey bone to keep her amused - as recommended as ok for her age by the pet shop. Could this cause a funny tummy? As the funny tummy started about 48 hours after first giving her the bone. She's also had her rabies jab as we wants to take her abroad - could that cause funny tummys?

Is Beta puppy ok for labs? Jess is nearly 13 weeks now - she's fine in herself and coat's lovely and glossy.

She hadn't been getting us up at night while her poos were firm but the last 2 nights, she's had us up at about 1:30 to go to the loo :( .

Should I give her boiled rice? Had read somewhere that can help settle a dodgy tummy?

Cheers - Vix & Jess

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Beta certainly gave Charlie copious, sloppy Mr. Whippy style poos. It is quite full of fillers, along with some artificial flavourings and colourants.

I found personally that the only thing that improved Charlie's digestion more permanently was to change his food. After a bit of experimenting, he moved onto Burns, and his No. 2s are normally nice and firm now.

I don't know about the rabies jab being responsible, as I haven't had to get it done. My feeling is no, though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies so far!

Thought I'd add a piccie of my little girl taken about a week ago!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Well my pup is on beta puppy food with no probs whatsoever, firm poo's 3 times a day lovely glossy coat. O won;t be changing him.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mine have been fed on jameswellbeloved and burn the are the expensive one but I have also had skinners puppy food too, but I also found as you have giving them a chew or a smoked bone can make them sloppy, but I just always found my lot never to have a sausage more or a mr whippy on the Beta puppy (sorry if anyone eating !!! :oops:)
Is she your first lab?, she is lovely, get loads of photos as they dont stay like that for long :D

G

·
If her poos have been soft since she arrived, then I'd think abut changing her onto something else. Not all foods suit all dogs, even within a litter you'll get some it suits better than others and no I don't think soft or sloppy poos are a puppy "thing", not if their food agrees with them anyway.

I personally wouldn't give smoked or any cooked bones to my dogs, despite what the they tell you in a Pet Shop, it would seem a lot don't know their bum from their elbow when it comes to feeding :roll: . Raw bones ONLY as anything else can splinter. Also smoked, fried, roasted, etc, bones tend to be fatty, so can easily upset their tums. Although in this case I would put my money on it being the food, as if it were the bone it would have happened much quicker.

I had to change Pickles food over because she started getting loose and the more I fed her (because she was looking thin), the looser she got until she had diarrhea. I took her off her food altogether and gave her boiled chicken mince and rice for a couple of days, until her tum had settled....then started adding a different food gradually, so that after another couple of days she was then totally on the new kibble. Her belly has been fine ever since and we have lovely "cigars" to pick up now :D .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, Jess is our first lab. She's so cute but we've decided she is a "gremlador"....cross betwen a gremlin and a labrador! Can tell by the look in her eyes which breed she is at any given time! lol. However, yesterday she looked fab laying out in the sun! She does enjoy sunbathing!

I'm gonna pop her on rice and chicken for a couple of days and then gradually add in some different food to try and settle her down. Fingers crossed!

Vix & Jess x

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gave Jess some boiled chicken and rice yesterday and this morning. Am going to try Wainwrights large breed puppy food - I see on some other posts, this seems similar to Wellbeloved. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes it does seem to be very similar to jwb my friend has his gsd on it and says its a great food think you can only get it at pets at home though but I could be wrong

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think you're right about only being able to get it from Pets at Home - think it's one of their brands without being own brand! If that makes sense!?!

Gradually mixing in with the chicken and rice that she's had over the past couple of days to introduce it and so far so good! No rapid expulsion of it!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been reading this with interest, our new pup Olive came to us from the breeder on Beta puppy and has so far only had very runny poos.

We saw the vet this morning for our puppy healthcheck and he seemed to think Beta wasn't suitable for labs and I should move her on to a puppy food specifically for large breeds.

He recommended either Hills Science Plan or Eukanuba - both of these were on sale in the reception for megabucks which always makes me slightly wary though.

What do you think? Are large breed puppy foods best and if so are the brands recommended the way to go or are there others I should consider?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. We obviously want what's best for our gorgeous girl...

Thanks

Emma

G

·
Tildamai said:
What do you think? Are large breed puppy foods best and if so are the brands recommended the way to go or are there others I should consider?
The only good thing about Large Breed puppy foods, is that they tend to be lower in protein than ordinary puppy food. But if you want lower protein, then you can just go straight to Adult foods, which is what I do.

Choosing a food is a nightmare these days, what with so many different brands and so much conflicting advise (even from the people who purport to KNOW). So I always bare in mind that dogs from years gone by were fed all and everything. Nothing was ever measured or weighed out, no one ever knew what the protein content was, or even which meat the food contained in some cases. Most were fed scraps and yet most seemed to live healthy long lives, without any "scientists" ever getting involved. :wink:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Emma - Jess wasn't on the large breed version of Beta puppy but we have gone for the Wainwrights large breed type. I'm no expert on the differences but the protein seems a little lower on large breed and also has added chondroitin and glucosamine for joint development.

There's so much choice of dry food on the market it is really hard to know what to feed. You'd like to think that no dog feed manufacturer would put unsuitable ingredients and preservatives in their feed but it does seem this perhaps does happen.

Wainwrights does state to be hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive tummies so I hope Jess settles down on it.

Our vets push Royal Canin - we got a free 4KG bag but at £20 (I think) for 4KG, like Eukanuba and Hills, it is really quite pricey, so we just add a couple of biscuits into her feed - waste not want not!!!

While Jess' tummy was not right, I also put a spoonful of the goats milk yoghurt that's been recommended somewhere on here to settle her down. It has a lovely texture (like thick double cream!) but does have an interesting smell of goat!! lol - well I had to try it!!!

Hope you get Olive sorted soon! Pop some piccies up!!!!

NB - I think Hills little bags are 1/2 price in pets at home at the mo if you were to try it.

Vix & Jess (oh and Gem too - I have my parents' Border Collie here for 2 1/2 weeks too - so bit of a mad house!) x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts