Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had expereince of feeding there puppy this brand we were recommended by another lab owner and are now slowly weaning him on it seems to like noticed though not for large breeds does anyone have any guidance as also recommended pro plan but getting ti is difficult

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Do you mean Beta puppy?I have had to take 2 of my dogs off that (if you are)both my vets and trainer told me not to use it, as it's very high in protein,Ben was not a hyper dog but Dylan is and both had the same problems while on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi, we've been using beta by purina for Zack since we got him in March last year. he likes it and doesn't have any problems with it. he has a nice glossy coat and isn't over or under weight - our vet says he is just right for. For the past month or so he has been on Eukanaba intestinal formula after bowel surgery (eating stones!!) and we are currently weaning him back onto the beta. Eukanaba didn't agree with him as well - poos weren't as firm, coat wasn't as glossy. But now he's back on beta everything is getting back to normal. I don't know if labs need large dog foods, maybe someone else can give advice on that. Our vet doesn't recommend them and Zack is growing just fine without them. At 14 months he is about 27kg (about 60lbs) with good muscle tone and strong bones. All dogs are different but if yours gets on alright with beta and seems to be growing well and staying healthy i'd be inclined to stick with it. Its reasonably priced and most pet stores seem to stock it (and it always seems to be on a three for two deal at Pets at home!!)

Elaine

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi, you are right each dog is different and each vet has different ideas of right weight,Dylan has suffered a lot from bacterial gut infection which makes them not want to eat and if they dothey vomit it up again or have the runs all the time,my vet calls it doggy anorexia.he also is being fed scrambled eggs, mince, tuna in brine, pilchards and grilled chicken,we are trying to find him a food that suits him and he will eat without all the runs and vomiting,whatever suits the dog is fine but as i said it did not suit my dogs.Dylan has a fantastic glossy coat and weighs just over 35 kgs and both my vets and the orthopedic surgeon he saw on the 16 feb say he is a good weight and to keep him on the lean side for his bones.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi everyone my three labs were raised on beta puppy from the breeder and went on to beta junior at six months but now the two has been conbined they stayed on the junior till they were eighteen months old then they were spayed and are now on beta light they are healthy labs glossy coats also my black lab has a underactive thyoid and is on tablets and has put no weight on at all yours sue

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the advice, I will keep on weaning him on Beta and leave trying the pro plan, he has a glossy coat, he is pooing okay, wees a lot though. We did have him on Tesco puppy food and he was putting on weight so the vet adviced a complete, I know that Burns etc are good holisitic foods but we dont get them round here, we have James well beloved but again its pricey and Murphy seems to like the Beta. I am weaning him off meat gently over 2 weeks as the vet said the guidlines are not long enough

Its so confusing all this puppy food

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i allways keep a portion of max's food back to use for treats and training. that way you can keep a good check on how much they are getting. dont forget to to allow for biscuits and any other treats you give him as these can soon pile the pounds on cos if he's like max he can never get enough :razz: :lol:
hope this helps
jane and max.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find that Jenson seems to have really sloppy poo's with Beta by Purina so were trying him on Eukanaba large puppy food and his poo seems to be a lot better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts